Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)/Getting Sick and hurt


What can I do when my landlord refuses to fix things that are making us sick and are physically hurting us? We have told him many times what needs to be fixed it is in the rental agreement walk through that he signed and agreed to fix. Instead of doing so, there is always an excuse. The back porch is literally falling through. There is a hole in the bedroom floor, the master bath tub is leaning, the hall bath has a crack in the tub and the floor is rotting. Both bathrooms are covered with mold in the walls. The living room area has mold going up the walls and across the floor. There are many more things wrong with the house.

Hi Lisa,

Your rights depend on your state. After giving the landlord written notification and a reasonable time to repair, you can probably make the repairs yourself and deduct the amount of the repairs from the rent. Or, you can probably terminate the tenancy and move. You might also be able to sue the landlord.

Please consult a local attorney in your jurisdiction.

Thanks for your question.

David Piotrowski
Attorney at Law

*No Attorney/Client Relationship and No Legal Advice -

Nothing contained herein is intended to be, nor shall be, legal advice. The above information is not intended as a solicitation and is not intended to be legal advice.  It is your responsibility to seek out competent legal advice from a qualified legal professional before making any decisions relating to your issue.  The hiring of an attorney is an important decision and should not be made based solely on advertisements.

Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


David Piotrowski, Esq.


My landlord/tenant practice primarily assists California landlords with all aspects of the landlord/tenant relationship including leases, contract violations, non-payment of rent, and evictions. I can also advise, on a more general level, other real property issues.


Please visit or for more information on my practice.

Juris Doctor (JD) and Member of the State Bar. Attorney.

©2017 All rights reserved.