Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)/renting long term and carpeting

When we moved into this rental home 6 years ago we tore up the skanky old carpet and restored the wooden floors underneath. Do we have an obligation to recarpet when we move out? Someone told me after a year's residency that requirement is gone.  Is this true?  Thank you.

Hi Gita,

Upon vacating the unit, you generally need to restore the unit to the same condition it was in when you moved in.

Thanks for your question.

David Piotrowski
Attorney at Law

*No Attorney/Client Relationship and No Legal Advice -

Nothing contained herein is intended to be, nor shall be, legal advice. The above information is not intended as a solicitation and is not intended to be legal advice.  It is your responsibility to seek out competent legal advice from a qualified legal professional before making any decisions relating to your issue.  The hiring of an attorney is an important decision and should not be made based solely on advertisements.

Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)

David Piotrowski, Esq.

My landlord/tenant practice primarily assists California landlords with all aspects of the landlord/tenant relationship including leases, contract violations, non-payment of rent, and evictions. I can also advise, on a more general level, other real property issues.

Please visit or for more information on my practice.

Juris Doctor (JD) and Member of the State Bar. Attorney.