Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)/Bill

I am a tenant in the L.A county area.  Recently I received a bill from the landlord regarding a plumbing visit I had to my apt months ago.  When I called the onsite manager I told her I had a clog and she said I will get someone out asap.  A plumber arrived a couple hours later and unclogged it.  

I thought that was that, now they are trying to charge me almost $200 for that visit.

Further more this building has had continous problems with plumbing and around that time our plumbing was turned off multiple times for repairs (entire building).  

There were no toys or any odd objects in the sink, tub etc.

Can my landlord charge me for this???

Thank you in advance.

Hi Terry,

It depends on the situation. Usually, if the result is due to the tenant's fault, then the tenant would pay. If it was something building-related, then the landlord might pay. You can ask for more details and an itemization of the bill.

You may also want to contact a tenant attorney.

Thanks for your question.

David Piotrowski
Attorney at Law

*No Attorney/Client Relationship and No Legal Advice -

Nothing contained herein is intended to be, nor shall be, legal advice. The above information is not intended as a solicitation and is not intended to be legal advice.  It is your responsibility to seek out competent legal advice from a qualified legal professional before making any decisions relating to your issue.  The hiring of an attorney is an important decision and should not be made based solely on advertisements.

Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)

David Piotrowski, Esq.

My landlord/tenant practice primarily assists California landlords with all aspects of the landlord/tenant relationship including leases, contract violations, non-payment of rent, and evictions. I can also advise, on a more general level, other real property issues.

Please visit or for more information on my practice.

Juris Doctor (JD) and Member of the State Bar. Attorney.