Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)/Serving summons in Illinois


Hi Dave,
I live in Illinois and recently inherited a two flat from my parents. I have a buyer for the building and it is currently under contract for sale. One of the tenants refuses to vacate the property. I gave her all the necessary notices and I am now trying to serve the court summons for an eviction hearing. I had the sheriff AND process server try to serve her, but she refuses to answer the door. I read about a sheriff's posting notice. It is supposed to allow the court to obtain jurisdiction over the property
(in rem).   Do you know how this works? Can you explain it?

Hi Bob,

I'm not sure about IL law, but in California, you can request a court order allowing the server to post the paperwork on the front door and mail it to the tenant. But this method requires prior court approval. IL might have a similar law. You will want to consult IL landlord/tenant law and contact an IL attorney.

Thanks for your question.

David Piotrowski
Attorney at Law

*No Attorney/Client Relationship and No Legal Advice -

Nothing contained herein is intended to be, nor shall be, legal advice. The above information is not intended as a solicitation and is not intended to be legal advice.  It is your responsibility to seek out competent legal advice from a qualified legal professional before making any decisions relating to your issue.  The hiring of an attorney is an important decision and should not be made based solely on advertisements.

Real Estate Law (esp. Landlord-Tenant)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


David Piotrowski, Esq.


My landlord/tenant practice primarily assists California landlords with all aspects of the landlord/tenant relationship including leases, contract violations, non-payment of rent, and evictions. I can also advise, on a more general level, other real property issues.


Please visit or for more information on my practice.

Juris Doctor (JD) and Member of the State Bar. Attorney.

©2017 All rights reserved.