Real Estate: Maryland/Becoming a Part-Time Real Estate Agent

I'm currently working as a freelance audiovisual technician, bringing in about $50,000 a year, with busy seasons of the year where I work a lot, and slower seasons where I have a lot of down time.

I'm considering working as a real estate agent in the down time to make more money.

I live in northern Virginia, where there is a high population, which combined with the proximity to the nation's capitol, results in a high cost of housing, with houses frequently selling for $1,000,000 or so.

I am very savvy with computers, the Internet, social media, photography and video production, which I believe could be useful to me as a real estate agent, and I would be interested in learning how to help people buy and sell homes as such.

Do you think this may be a good thing for me to do when I'm not on other assignments?  How long does it typically take someone to get started as a real estate agent and make their first sale?  I read somewhere else that an agent can expect to keep about 2.5% of a sale, and then typically gives about 30% to their broker.  Is that about right?
Any advice and additional resources would be appreciated.

Selling real estate is more about social skills than technical skills so be aware that its easier to learn the real estate technology than it is to naturally relate to people and develop report and trust.  If you have that skill set. you should do well though part time realtors seldom do more than 2 or 3 deals a year.  Your percentages are about right.I would recommend a Keller Williams Realty. They provide great training.  Contact Debbie Baxter Keller Williams Northern Va.  Tell her I referred you.
Larry Galey
Associate Broker

Real Estate: Maryland

Larry Galey

I can answer most any question pertaining to the sale or purchase of Real Estate with a specific expertise in the States of Maryland, Virginia and West Virgina. I'm a licensed and active Real Estate Broker in all three of these states.

I have been a licensed real estate Broker for 30 years and have specific experience in the areas of new home sales, land sales, general brokerage and real estate investing. Any question pertaining to the purchase or sale of residential and commercial real estate is accepted and generally answered in a thorough fashion.

National Association of Realtors, Maryland Association of Realtors, Greater Capital Area Board of Realtors, Metropolitan Regional Information Systems

Realtor Magazine, National Homebuilders Newsletter

Bachelors of Science in Marketing from the University of Maryland. Over 1000 hours of Continuing Education Seminars in all areas of real estate related topics.

GCAAR Million Dollar Sales Club, Major Achievement in Marketing Excellance Award, Finest in Family Livivng Award.

General Motors Cadillac Division, IBM, Grayson Homes, Portrait Homes, Porten Homes, Bozutto Homes.