Real Estate: Missouri/HOA Fees owed by previous owner

Question
I purchased a home last year the HOA fees were not paid now I'm been sued for the delinquent fees accrued by the previous owner, I can't believe the lender or title company didn't catch this. My question is who is responsible for the delinquent fees?

Answer
Marlene,
The sellers title company is responsible for ensuring the subdivision fees are paid so that they can provide free and clear title at close. Call the title company that you closed with and let them know the problem, they should get it taken care of for you.
Good Luck!
Sharon Colona
P.S. I am not sure where you are located but my answer would be for Missouri title companies, different states might have different rules that I would not be familiar with.

Real Estate: Missouri

Sharon Colona