Real Estate: New York/Tenant with expiring lease

Hello, I have a tenant whose lease is about to expire in a few months. They have been late on payments and have caused difficulties. Once their lease expires, can we choose not to re-new it and give them 30 days to vacate? Is there more that I need to do?

Hi Angie:

Thanks for your question. As I manage many apartments, this question is more of a legal question that real estate question.

I am not a legal expert and will not give you legal advice, but can tell you a little of what i think.

In a normal world, what you have mentioned should be sufficient enough to get a tenant to move out. Many things does come into the picture.
1) where is your property? 2) how many families is it? 3) is the tenant cash tenant or program?

You should speak to an attorney, and send the refusal to renew contract as soon as possible. That is a start.

I hope your tenant play along and leave with out difficulties. Good luck.

Real Estate: New York

Reza Ardebili

I am a Real Estate Broker. I own my own properties, and I build many 3 family homes. I can answer all aspects of purchasing/selling/researching on real estate in NY. I specialize in 2/3 families in NYC (5 boroughs). I can also help you through the process. BROOKLYN, MANHATTAN, BRONX, QUEENS’s properties in which you can build equity and your rental income pays for your mortgage is a very good idea. Most properties I sell/build are in this category. Hope I can be of help.

I have been in this field for 8 years now. New Construction, and finding investment properties are 2 of my specialties.

I own my own real estate company. I am a Realtor. MLS member.

I am a Rutgers University Graduate. I recieved a B.A. in CIS. Minor in bussiness.

Just many thanks from the families I helped. That is enough award for me.