Real Estate: New York/rents

Hi, Mark,

Am I allowed to ask my neighbors about the amount of their rents and their rent increases to see if I am treated fairly by my landlord?

My landlord gets very angry when I tell him that I asked my neighbor about his rent amount and increase, he even calls it "appalling!"

When judging if my rent and increases are fair should I compare it to the going market price in my area or to my neighbors'?

Thanks for your reply, K

most landlords don't like it when you ask your neighbors how much their rent is.  but it certainly is not appalling.  if you find that asking your neighbors how much they paying the rent bothers your landlord and makes him more defiant, it's probably best that you don't bring it up in your meeting.but, asking your neighbors can help you to better negotiate without bringing it up specifically. you will have a better idea of what your landlord may be willing to accept based on when your neighbor signed the lease and how much they are paying.

Real Estate: New York

Mark Shemel

I believe I can answer questions in the following sub categories with respect to New York City: Residential Brokerage, Landlord Tenant disputes, Any type of lease questions, any definition pertaining to residential real estate, any questions about property management, most questions about development, construction codes, and housing laws, questions about Section 8, HPD and government sponsored housing. Also corporate and short term housing questions.

I am currently the President of Think Properties NYC, a residential brokerage firm in New York City. I am also President of National Property Management Group. We manage over 1000 Residential Units and 50 retail/commercial units, generally as tax payers or part of mixed use buildings. We handle project management, marketing, and rentals/sales of new construction properties as well.

The Real Estate Board of New York (REBNY), Boutique Brokerage Firm Alliance (President)

New York Times, Real Estate Weekly, Wikipedia, Wiki-answers

Undergrad: Union College Degree: Bachelors Degree, Double Major Economics/French Graduate: New York University Degree: Masters of Science, Masters in Real Estate Development Licensed Real Estate Broker in State of New York

Undergrad: Phi Beta Kappa, National Honor Society, Magna Cum Laude

Oakwood Worldwide, JP Morgan Chase (for Relocation), and several other firms.