Real Estate: Pennsylvania/security deposit

Dear Sir/Madam:
We rented a house in Philadelphia PA during 2 years with very good relationship with our landlord who were authorized to enter the house every time they needed with previous notice and they did it a lot!). The lease agreement was a bit demanding (brushing the brass every week, keep the window boxes blossoming or with ever green depending of the season, using just vinegar and water to clean the floor, etc...)We agreed with that and trust them. When we took the house, it was dirty because of the previous tenant and we did a long cleaning job, including the walls, by ourselves! We had a link in the chimney which started at the first month and it was never repaired (they asked about 6 different roofers for a good price but they never hired one). During the 2011 Hurricane, we also had a link in the stairs and they waited until the last months to repaint it (to make up the house before the open house). But of all that we were understanding. They were always very happy of our tenancy and full of regrets when we told them we were leaving. Anyway when we left in July, we left a clean house and since we were about to move to a different state with our movers already on the road (so in a tight schedule), we left our garbage (just the usual trash from a moving) in the street just one day before the regular pick up schedule, apologizing around to our neighbors. Of course we informed our landlord of that and they were worried about getting a fine (that we were willing to pay if so).
Then we received the security deposit minus $500 (our deposit was $1600). They argued of the lease: "the tenant will pay Landlord's cost of disposal of Tenant's property.". They charged us to have left trash in the street! We asked them to send us the bill or fine from the city to justify this disproportionate amount (especially since we left a clean house and garden). They do not answer and we do not know what to do now.
I hope you could advice us.
Best regards.

I'm sorry for your troubles with this and there is no easy or uncostly solution.  Your two options to the best of my knowledge would be to contact the rental agent/agency who rented the apt. to you and see if they can help verify the security deposit.  If you didn't have an agent, then you can contact a real estate attorney to take the landlord to court over this.  You may also be able to file a claim under your small claims court in your county against the landlord.  In any case you'll need a copy of your lease and the deposits you made and the letters and contact info you received form the landlord for whoever you meet.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Real Estate: Pennsylvania

Tim Meagher

I can answer or give advice regarding any question related to the buying, selling, renting or leasing of any type of real estate. Including but not limited to residential, commercial, investment, multifamily,industrial, vacation, farm, historic properties, building lots and large acreage parcels. Any question related to how to sell or how to buy. The best way to negotiate whether you are a buyer or seller. How to make an offer, how to set a list price, how to get financing, what to look for in your inspections, how to value an investment property. How to pick the right agent to represent you. Anything related to real estate!

10 years as a licensed residential and commercial real estate broker in Pennsylvania and New York. I have personally handled the sale and purchase for clients on over a few thousand transactions. The transactions range from small building lots, to 15 story high rise commercial buildings, waterfront homes, investment properties, historic Victorians, new construction, farms, suburban tract homes, development land, etc.

National Association Realtors NAR International Council of Shopping Centers ICSC

Bloomberg Businessweek Wayne Independent

BA from Penn State University Brokers License from Pennsylvania Real Estate School and NY Salesperson License from PA and NY Real Estate School Accredited Buyers Representative Eprofessional

#1 in Sales Transactions for MLS for 5 years. #1 in residential and commercial sales in MLS. Top 10 in Pennsylvania for residential sales. #1 in Pennsylvania for commercial sales. Hall of Fame Rookie of the Year Platinum Club Diamond Club

Fortune 500 Executives and CEOs Wall St. Executives Over 10,000 satisfied buyers and sellers of residential, commercial, resort vacation home, farms, industrial, historic, and all other real estate transactions.