Real Estate: Pennsylvania/Living rent free in parents house

In november last year, my parents moved to Florida and gave me their house to live in RENT FREE! My wife and I with our 4 year old now reside here in Brentwood, PA (Allegheny County-outside of Pittsburgh). We have an understanding and have a great relationship and I am NOT worried that they will want the house back. Eventually, we plan on putting the house in my name.

Q1. In order to register my son for Kindergarten this year, I need to provide the deed (in my name I assume) or rental agreement to prove occupancy. Even though I am not really "renting", would a simple lease agreement work and not harm either me or my parents?

Q2. transferring the deed to me.  My parents do have a home re-fiance loan they are still paying but the original mortgage is paid off.  Does this mean that they can't sign the deed over to me until the loan is paid off?

Q3.  I have bad credit (lots of unsecured debt) and plan on filing bankruptcy soon.  Would it be better to put the deed in my name before or after bankruptcy? Chapter7?

Any other suggestions would be helpful
Thank you for your time!

You have some good questions and mostly they are more for a legal expert who can advise you on the lease and tenant landlord laws along with how best to structure the ownership, leasing, title/deed transfer of the property.  You have to be careful in changing ownership because of many tax and income implications both for you and your parents.  My advice would be to consult a real estate attorney/tax advisor who can help you.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Real Estate: Pennsylvania

Tim Meagher

I can answer or give advice regarding any question related to the buying, selling, renting or leasing of any type of real estate. Including but not limited to residential, commercial, investment, multifamily,industrial, vacation, farm, historic properties, building lots and large acreage parcels. Any question related to how to sell or how to buy. The best way to negotiate whether you are a buyer or seller. How to make an offer, how to set a list price, how to get financing, what to look for in your inspections, how to value an investment property. How to pick the right agent to represent you. Anything related to real estate!

10 years as a licensed residential and commercial real estate broker in Pennsylvania and New York. I have personally handled the sale and purchase for clients on over a few thousand transactions. The transactions range from small building lots, to 15 story high rise commercial buildings, waterfront homes, investment properties, historic Victorians, new construction, farms, suburban tract homes, development land, etc.

National Association Realtors NAR International Council of Shopping Centers ICSC

Bloomberg Businessweek Wayne Independent

BA from Penn State University Brokers License from Pennsylvania Real Estate School and NY Salesperson License from PA and NY Real Estate School Accredited Buyers Representative Eprofessional

#1 in Sales Transactions for MLS for 5 years. #1 in residential and commercial sales in MLS. Top 10 in Pennsylvania for residential sales. #1 in Pennsylvania for commercial sales. Hall of Fame Rookie of the Year Platinum Club Diamond Club

Fortune 500 Executives and CEOs Wall St. Executives Over 10,000 satisfied buyers and sellers of residential, commercial, resort vacation home, farms, industrial, historic, and all other real estate transactions.