You are here:

Real Estate: Texas/Home Title Transfer


I was divorced in 1996. The house is now paid for, and I would like to remove my name from the deed. What do I need to do?

As long as you follow the divorce decree you can just convey your interest in the home.  If the decree says to give your interest to your ex-wife, etc.

Search online for or go see an attorney and have a "Special Warranty Deed" drafted and execute before a Notary Public.  Take the completed Special Warranty Deed to the county clerk in the county in which the property is located and record the deed in the "Real Property Records".

This will convey out your interest in the property and you will no longer have any ties to it.


Cliff Williams

Real Estate: Texas

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Cliff Williams


Questions related to ownership and transfer of title in real property within the State of Texas. I can answer general questions related to real property in other states but I will be specific with anyone asking a Texas real property question.


Texas Title Attorney

Bachelor of Business Management and a Law Degree from Texas Wesleyan University School of Law in Fort Worth. Member of the Tarrant County Bar, Dallas County Bar, and Texas State Bar.

©2017 All rights reserved.