Real Estate: Texas/division of mineral rights

My husband has died , what is the division of our mineral rights between me and my two children?

If a person dies without a will, and the deed to the property does not expressly include joint tenancy with survivorship language then issues arise as to which persons have title to that property and in what percentages.  Such property is often referred to as “heirship property.” It is essentially unsellable as it is, and a title company will not issue title insurance until heirship issues are addressed and resolved.  This must be done by either a probate proceeding in county court (resulting in appointment of a personal representative of the estate and ultimately a judgment determining heirship) or by an “affidavit of heirship” followed by a deed signed by the heirs.

In either case it is best to first speak with an attorney. 

Information in this article is proved for general informational and educational purposes only and is not offered as legal advice upon which anyone may rely. The law changes. Legal counsel relating to your individual needs and circumstances is advisable before taking any action that has legal consequences.  Consult your tax advisor as well.  This firm is not a law firm and does not represent you unless and until it is expressly retained in writing to do so.

Real Estate: Texas

Own Realty Group

Own Realty Group is a full service real estate brokerage representing buyers, sellers, tenants and investors of single family, and multi-family residential real estate.

Own Realty Group real estate professionals have over 20 years experience buying, selling, leasing and investing in real estate. Own Realty Group is also the investment management company for the Houston Real Estate Investors Network. Own Realty Group professionals host weekly seminars and workshops on buying, selling, leasing and investing. Since 2002 Own Realty Group professionals have completed thousands of transactions representing buyers, sellers, tenants and investors.

National Association of Realtors, Texas Association of Realtors, Houston Association of Realtors, Real Estate Investors Network, REI Connect

Introduction to Commercial Real Estate, Real Estate Brokerage I, Real Estate Principles I & II, Avoiding Landmines in the Earnest Money Contract, Short Sales and Seller Financing, Generating Buyers by Marketing the New Stimulus Plan, What Realtors Should Know About Reverse Mortgages, Property Management I, Real Estate Marketing I, Marketing - Business Brokerage, Opportunities and Advantages of Residential Service Contract, Law of Agency, Law of Contracts, Inspections for Real Estate Agents, Understanding the Fundamentals of Loan Processing and Underwriting, Introduction to Real Estate Investing, Real Estate Investing Principles, Real Estate Investment Strategy, Investing in Real Estate with Lease Options, Investment Feasibility Analysis