You are here:

Real Estate: Texas/Transfer home title in Texas


My home was paid off in November 2009.  I re-married in January 2011 and now the home is vacant.  I want to transfer title to my grandson for a nominal amount, but my spouse, who is not on the title to the house, is against this.  Must I have spouse approval to transfer title to my grandson?

This is your sole and separate property and so long as you owned it completely prior to your marriage in 2011 then you have all the authority that you need to convey the property as you desire.

Plus, if the home is vacant and your homestead property is a different property then you are even further clear to convey as you see fit.

Good luck!

Cliff Williams

Real Estate: Texas

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Cliff Williams


Questions related to ownership and transfer of title in real property within the State of Texas. I can answer general questions related to real property in other states but I will be specific with anyone asking a Texas real property question.


Texas Title Attorney

Bachelor of Business Management and a Law Degree from Texas Wesleyan University School of Law in Fort Worth. Member of the Tarrant County Bar, Dallas County Bar, and Texas State Bar.

©2017 All rights reserved.