Real Estate: Wisconsin/Getting a lien filled voluntarily on a home?

I live in California, and have lent my sister-in-law who lives in Wis.$38000 for legal fees and to purchase her ex's interest in thier house as part of the divoice settlement. She will shortly own the house with a market value of $185,000 and a 1st mortgage of $88,000. She does not have the cash flow to repay me anytime soon and will be keeping the house for at least the next 3 years (untill her kids move out). Is there a instrument that I can use to use the house (her only asset) to secure repayment of my loan to her? Can I, with her agreement place a lien on the house? She is not in a position to be able to refinace the house to pay me off and I can only see getting my money when the house is sold. I am open for any options.

I am a realtor, not an attorney and for an absolute answer and execution of the lien properly, I would direct you to a real estate lawyer.  In my non-legal but experienced real estate opinion, you could indeed file a lien. Best to hire a real estate lawyer for the lien execution.

Real Estate: Wisconsin

Sally K. & David L. Hanson, ABR, CDPE, e-Pro

Residential, investment and commercial real estate. Certified Distressed Property Experts (CDPE) experienced in Short Sales.

Involved in many phases of real estate since the 80's including investment, remodeling, design, buying, selling, special training in real estate for seniors, relocation and short sale certified.

National Ass'n of Realtors, Greater Milwaukee Area Realtors, Certified Distressed Property Experts Active Rain (website)

Active Rain Blog - www.WisconsinRelocation.Net

ABR - Buyers Agent, e-Pro - Internet proficient, CDPE - Certified Distressed Property Experts

President's Circle for Sales Achievement Frequent Agents for the month and quarter for sales/listings

Residential, investment and commercial real estate references available upon request.