You are here:

Real Estate: Wisconsin/can I be sued for back taxes on deceased family property?


I understand what you say about a short sale, however I do not own the property, and it still has both my deceased in-laws name on the bill of sale.  It is too costly to change this, I've already inquired about this with my lawyer.  Can I be sued for my deceased in laws unpaid taxes on this property?  I have not been paying them.  I was told that the state would sell it for unpaid taxes, and now this letter has arrived,  to my decease father in law.

I am not a I can't really address the suing part of your question...what I can tell you is that in a short sale, the bank will pay the taxes and any other liens with the money that they get from the buyer.  I would guess, anyone can be sued for anything.....the short sale will take care of paying the taxes.

Real Estate: Wisconsin

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Sally K. & David L. Hanson, ABR, CDPE, e-Pro


Residential, investment and commercial real estate. Certified Distressed Property Experts (CDPE) experienced in Short Sales.


Involved in many phases of real estate since the 80's including investment, remodeling, design, buying, selling, special training in real estate for seniors, relocation and short sale certified.

National Ass'n of Realtors, Greater Milwaukee Area Realtors, Certified Distressed Property Experts Active Rain (website)

Active Rain Blog - www.WisconsinRelocation.Net

ABR - Buyers Agent, e-Pro - Internet proficient, CDPE - Certified Distressed Property Experts

Awards and Honors
President's Circle for Sales Achievement Frequent Agents for the month and quarter for sales/listings

Past/Present Clients
Residential, investment and commercial real estate references available upon request.

©2017 All rights reserved.