You are here:

Real Estate: Wisconsin/unpaid real estate taxes for deceased father in law


My father in law passed 4/2000, he owned undeveloped property on Indian reservation in Wisconsin.  My husband was executor of will, and he too has passed in 4/2005.  I talked to lawyer about changing name on  realastate, but due to costs, decided I really cant afford it.  My lawyer advised to stop paying on land, since both mother and father in laws name is on bill of sale,since i do not want it.  I am my husbands executor.  Today I got letter from lawyers saying they would sue father in law for back taxes.  Since the name was never changed on property, and since both people are deceased, can they come back at me for these taxes?  We have never paid taxes, due to lawyers advice..

Hi Pamela...

 It would sound to us like this is a property that should be sold as a short sale. Short sales are for sellers who for reasons of hardship cannot continue to make mortgage and property tax payments. If you are in meed of a qualified short sale specialist in whatever area of Wisconsin, please email:  and we will be happy to recommend someone.

Real Estate: Wisconsin

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Sally K. & David L. Hanson, ABR, CDPE, e-Pro


Residential, investment and commercial real estate. Certified Distressed Property Experts (CDPE) experienced in Short Sales.


Involved in many phases of real estate since the 80's including investment, remodeling, design, buying, selling, special training in real estate for seniors, relocation and short sale certified.

National Ass'n of Realtors, Greater Milwaukee Area Realtors, Certified Distressed Property Experts Active Rain (website)

Active Rain Blog - www.WisconsinRelocation.Net

ABR - Buyers Agent, e-Pro - Internet proficient, CDPE - Certified Distressed Property Experts

Awards and Honors
President's Circle for Sales Achievement Frequent Agents for the month and quarter for sales/listings

Past/Present Clients
Residential, investment and commercial real estate references available upon request.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]