Reform Judaism/Divine protection

Does Psalm 97:10 really guarantee G-d's protection from wicked people if we meet the conditions of loving Him and hating evil? Or is this not applicable to us?

One must always read the entire applicable section in a translation, if needed, that closely follows the original language and intent. BTW, I only refer to Jewish ideas, translations and intent for our scripture.

1 HaShem reigneth; let the earth rejoice; let the multitude of isles be glad.
2 Clouds and darkness are round about Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne.
3 A fire goeth before Him, and burneth up His adversaries round about.
4 His lightnings lighted up the world; the earth saw, and trembled.
5 The mountains melted like wax at the presence of HaShem, at the presence of the L-rd of the whole earth.
6 The heavens declared His righteousness, and all the peoples saw His glory.
7 Ashamed be all they that serve graven images, that boast themselves of things of nought; bow down to Him, all ye gods.
8 Zion heard and was glad, and the daughters of Judah rejoiced; because of Thy judgments, O HaShem.
9 For Thou, HaShem, art most high above all the earth; Thou art exalted far above all gods.
10 O ye that love HaShem, hate evil; He preserveth the souls of His saints; He delivered them out of the hand of the wicked.
11 Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.
12 Be glad in HaShem, ye righteous; and give thanks to His holy name.

HaShem = God.

What is said here? Is it a soul that is saved or a person? or a saint?
"10 O ye that love HaShem, hate evil; He preserveth the souls of His saints; He delivered them out of the hand of the wicked".

The intent, as I see it, is to give solace to those who yearn for their inner being/soul to be preserved in righteousness after the body/the shell housing the soul dies.

If you believe it then your soul will be saved,or as is said in Judaism when hearing of a death, "May their name be as a light/blessing upon us".

I hope this answer helps you to understand Jewish scripture.

Reform Judaism

Rabbi Chaim Bender

I will answer questions about Judaism in general, Reform, Conservative and Orthodox as well. I will answer questions about converting to Judaism, and questions about why Jews do not believe in a risen messiah. I try to stay away from politics.

Rabbi. Interfaith outreach. Teacher.