Reform Judaism/Liberal Christians

I read with great interest your answer to the earlier question about Jesus, and I thought it was very well-reasoned!  I noted your point about the awfulness of the idea of those who had suffered in the Holocaust then going to hell. I agree with you! But I did want to ask you if you felt the same total incompatibility with very liberal Christians-- universalists who do not believe in hell and who believe all human beings-- regardless of faith or heritage-- are in equal good standing with their Creator?  Very liberal Christians may see Jesus as a wonderful and special voice of love but not as God incarnate and may look to him as an exemplar and not as someone who atones for their sins. Do you see a shorter distance between that type of Christianity and Judaism? Or does that seem the same as Fundamentalist Christianity to you? Thanks!

Thank you for your kind question and even more for the kindness and compassion that is so clear in your words. As a fellow Jew I think I can safely quote Yeshua (Jesus) and say "You are not far from the Kingdom of G-d." More and more Christians are moving towards a more collaborative relationship with the Jews rather than just a toleration for faiths other than their own ("A tolerated Judaism can never achieve real encounter with Christianity"-Richard Rubinstein). Many now believe that there is more than one way to heaven; as someone wise said "We all walk in the light we are given". I can happily accept your form of Christianity and you as a sister and fellow sojourner on this path to righteousness. May you be blessed as you bless!

As you may have noted, I like quotes. Here's a few more I thought of that pertain to our discussion.

He who only knows one religion doesn't know any.

Judaism's dream is not to make the world more Jewish, rather to make it more human. Ellie Wiesel

He who treats the cruel with kindness will eventually treat the kind with cruelty

Fundamentalism is the attempt to impose a single truth on a plural world.
Chief Rabbi UK

Our Utopias must be conceived as projects...not as forecasts of an inevitable future. Rabbi Kaplan in "Meaning of God"

The right to liberty must be conceived as the right to the opportunity of leading an ethical life. Kaplan

I will not engage in a dialogue with those who deny my right to be, who delegitimize my faith and denounce my struggle before God worthless.

King once wrote that “any religion that professes to be concerned about the souls of men and is not concerned about the slums that damn them, the economic conditions that strangle them …is a spiritually moribund religion awaiting burial.”

Reform Judaism

Ovadiah ben Avraham

All questions pertaining to Judaism in general; medical and ethical Halakhah; New Testament theology as it pertains to Judaism. I am committed to both interfaith relations and counter-missionary arguments. Indeed, if one looks closely, there is no contradiction. My right to swing my arms ends where your nose begins. We can discuss without malice and possibly even learn something from one another.

Yeshiva and self-study.

Havaruah Kol Ami (Conservo-Reconstructionist Minhag)

Doctorate Degree