Reform Judaism/Reform Judaism, the Afterlife, and Souls

Since Reform Judaism tends not to believe in the afterlife, am I correct in assuming that Reform Jews generally do not believe in souls and spirits in the traditional sense? If Reform Jews indeed do not believe in what do they believe in? Coming from a Non-Reform background, I am interested to know.

Thank you for your kind question. I just saw it so apologies that it took me a few days to answer.

Reform, like most other Jews, consider the afterlife as dessert rather than the main course. Even in Orthodoxy it is not clear exactly what the afterlife is and how it will all come about. I don't believe we can make a blanket statement as to what any (and certainly not what all) Jews believe in other than the Oneness of HaShem.

I can't speak for all Reform Jews but I believe our souls are reconnected with HaShem when we die, after a refinement period.

Hope that helps. Shalom!  

Reform Judaism

Ovadiah ben Avraham

All questions pertaining to Judaism in general; medical and ethical Halakhah; New Testament theology as it pertains to Judaism. I am committed to both interfaith relations and counter-missionary arguments. Indeed, if one looks closely, there is no contradiction. My right to swing my arms ends where your nose begins. We can discuss without malice and possibly even learn something from one another.

Yeshiva and self-study.

Havaruah Kol Ami (Conservo-Reconstructionist Minhag)

Doctorate Degree