Reform Judaism/day of atonement

Question
A few days ago I could see the Australian TV series " A place to call home" and an important part of it is the struggle of Sarah a woman converted to Judaism who in 1953 returned from WWII horror in Europe to her town in New South Wales and who met the not unusual prejudice because of her faith.
I know a lot about the Jewish people and its faith but I am not an expert.
I was puzzled to see that in one sequence Sarah felt that during the Day of Atonement she had to descend totally naked into a river.
I have nothing against nakedness in the right context (I lived in Sweden 30 years ago where I had adjust to joining in the village sauna naked people of all age and sex)
Question : it is part of Jewish ritual to go naked into a river at the Day of Atonement?

Answer

The simple answer is NO. I think that the makers of the film you mention were taking what is known as "poetic license". There is no requirement that a Jew immerse in a "mikvah", a ritual bath either in a building housing the "mikvah" or in a river or other body of water on Yom Kippur. See https://www.google.com/search?q=mikvah&oq=mikvah&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i65j0l4.4801j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8.

I hope this answers your question.

Thank You,
Rabbi Bender

Reform Judaism

Rabbi Chaim Bender