Reiki/Movement of blockages?

Around 10 I had stiffness in my lower back.  As a teen it was between my shoulder blades.  Since my late 20s I've had such stiffness in my neck that I've contemplated going to the ER.  Massage therapists seem amazed at the knots in the left/back part of my neck.  My first impression is of some trouble moving upward in my body.  When I massage my neck it is like lightning radiating all directions from the tense area.  I have also noticed a tendency for health issues to arise in the left side of my body more than the right.

I have ended up wondering about things like:  Blockages in my energy system needing to move one way or the other.  How the condition of one chakra might affect another.  How these kind of things might be connected like acupuncture meridians or reflexology.

My question is this: Where might I look for information about things like this?  In books, the internet, especially intellegent friends, I have yet to find a good lead.

Hi, Todd.

There’s a lot of information in books and on the internet regarding energy blocks. It can be difficult to sort through it all unless you really know what you’re looking for. You’re very specific about the location of your pain (left side/back of the neck), so that can help narrow down your search on the internet. You may want to search for healing strategies for the throat chakra, since the pain has settled in your neck and it originally began at the age of 10 (the chakra develops between the ages of 7 and 12). Also the left side of your body is your accepting side, so perhaps there is something in the past or present that needs to be acknowledged.

There’s a fantastic book that associates emotions with physical pain called “Feelings Buried Alive Never Die” by Karol Truman. It’s a great tool to have on hand. In my experience, if a person’s pain is associated with negative emotions and/or past experiences, the pain begins to dissipate once those emotions and/or experiences are acknowledged.

Also, I have a client with chronic neck pain and she has had pain relief with a combination of acupuncture, Reiki, and Yin (restorative) yoga.  These modalities complement one another, move energy, and help to remove blockages.

I hope this helps.
Pam Cotter

Pam Cotter

Ask me questions about anything Reiki-related, chakras and chakra alignment, pendulum work, working/healing with gemstones and crystals. I will not send Reiki through All Experts, so please do not ask. I work by appointment only and can be contacted at

Certified Reiki Master/Teacher (Usui System) with over nine years of experience, offering private sessions, attunements and training. In 2002, Pam saw an ad for a Reiki I class and decided on a whim to give it a try. During the next year she completed her Master/Teacher class. For the next several years she gave treatments to friends and family and dabbled in attunements when asked, never really having a desire to be a full-time healer or teacher. In the last few years the call to fully realize herself as a healer and teacher became too loud to ignore, so Pam began focusing her attention on Reiki, leaning toward the compassionate action-based practice of Karuna Reiki. She believes everyone has their own style as a healer and a teacher, Pam’s being a more laid-back, relaxed approach toward her practice. She believes her purpose in life and in her Reiki practice is to introduce healing tools and wellness principles to those who ask for them, so they can apply those tools and principles to their own lives to bring about good health, balance, and happiness.

REIKI TRAINING/CERTIFICATES: Reiki I 2002 Reiki II 2002 Advanced Master Reiki 2002 Karuna Reiki 2003 Reiki Master/Teacher 2003