Reincarnation/Autism and Reincarnation

Question
QUESTION: I would like to provide you a brief background, so as to show that I have a scientific mind but with spiritual overtones. My background is in counseling, but most of my work history is in computer information systems. I was raised with Christian beliefs, but currently hold non-denominational beliefs. I have been in the military (after my B.A.) and have worked in equine –assisted psychotherapy and people with schizophrenia. My M.A. is in Professional Counseling. I tend to be analytical, research-oriented and have learned to detect patterns very quickly in human behavior and data.
I began believing in reincarnation in 1991, after a couple of odd dreams and then I stumbled upon some books by Edgar Cayce. I just happened to be also taking a theology course which discussed reincarnation and its presence in the bible. I attended a Catholic university—of all places to learn about reincarnation. So, my spiritual education has developed for quite some time now.
In 2008, I married and had my first and only child. At one year old, he was showing some developmental delays. His first and only word until the age of two was the word “nine”, as he had heard a mother telling her son the price of a toy. He didn’t repeat the price, just the word “nine.” He was showing signs of sensory processing issues and development delays as early as six months, but by the age of two was clearly showing signs of autism.
Other “quirks” that my son had were as follows: He only liked cotton clothing. He was very selective with food, only eating certain things, such as polish sausage. He abhorred chicken and turkey. He did not display any stimulating behaviors common to Autism, such as arm flapping, but he did have some curious behaviors such as insisting on inspecting his bread before eating it. If there was anything brown looking on it, he would not eat the bread. He violently opposed haircutting. Haircutting is intolerable for a lot of children with Autism. Thus, haircuts were done during the night when he was sound asleep. He refused any kind of medicine or invasive procedures, such as nail clipping, ear cleaning, teeth brushing, etc... Doctor visits were a constant dread, but he has learned to tolerate medical procedures a little bit better within the past year. Of course, he displays typical issues, such as lack of ego, lack of eye contact and lack of language skills.
In April 2014, I happen to catch an interview of Ron Susskind discussing his autistic son and his recent publication called Life Animated. During the interview, Mr. Susskind discussed his son’s quirk of needing to watch the movie credit rolls. My son had to watch them, too! He would get so upset if you turned the channel or shut off the credit rolls. Suddenly, I had an epiphany in which my pattern-loving brain began connecting the dots. My epiphany came as such: [b]Autistic children are Holocaust victims.
[/b] Immediately, everything made sense. I began, in lightning speed, connecting the dots: the love for polish sausage, his first word was nine which phonetically sounds like the German word “nein” for “no”, his hatred of haircuts, his fascination of names scrolling on the TV, his clothing needing to be cotton only, his inspections of bread before eating, his lack of eye contact, his lack of verbal language, his refusal to take medicine, etc.. The explanations came pouring into my head faster than I could remember my son’s quirks. If, indeed, Reincarnation provides an explanation about ASD, it explains some of the common issues:
Immunizations: The ire of the medical community has been recently raised as more and more parents are refusing to immunize their children in fear of invoking autism. Holocaust victims were often used for medical experiments. It is a well-known fact that the invention of aspirin was developed using holocaust victims. This knowledge also explained my son’s opposition to taking medicine or invasive procedures of any kind. I don’t believe that the immunizations cause Autism, but I do believe that something like a moldy piece of bread or an arriving train would have eventually reminded them what their life plan was meant to be for this incarnation.
Lack of Ego is probably the most predominant issue with Autism. The first step in the psychology of the Holocaust was to strip the individuals of a sense of identity by giving numbers, cutting hair, uniforms, etc. Most autistic children do not use or minimally use the first-person pronoun such as "I" or "me". My son is six and still refers to himself in third person.
Lack of eye contact is another common issue with Autism. Due to the military-like composition of the concentration camps, the inferiority complex that was generated upon the victims was essential to maintain crowd control and power. Eye contact was not acceptable to this experience between authority and the victims.
Fecal Smearing/Consumption: Some autistic children do fecal smearing/consumption. Not only was there no toilet paper, or anything like that, but that some even reverted to eating their feces for direly needed food or to abate hunger.
Long-term memory is present in ASD children/adults. I would have to connect this to the fact that victims were on high-alert at all times and answering any kind of questions asked by authority figures could have meant the difference between life and death. Having such a significance placed upon answering questions required one to keep a keen memory in order to stay alive. Autistic children are known for their acute detail in discussing/explaining matters. Asperger's, IMO, may have been those victims of the Holocaust that were allowed to operate in a somewhat "normal" role within the concentration camps, still suffering the living conditions, but possibly working in a job that gave them some small sense of normalcy, like a kitchen job or accounting job.
Male/Female Ratio: The current ratio of Male/Female in ASD is 4:1. It is a fact that 80% of all women and children were immediately sent to extermination camps upon arrival, whereby leaving mostly men to experience the horror of the concentration camps.
Gastrointestinal (GI) Issues: It is estimated that approximately 50% of ASD children are afflicted with GI issues. The current trend in dietary solutions for ASD is low protein, no grains and no dairy diets. These diets are proving to show some success with the GI issues associated with ASD. Interesting enough, the food served in the concentration camps comprised of low protein, no grains (except for occasional pieces of bread) and no dairy.
Trains: A lot of autistic children have an affinity for trains. Trains came into concentration camps 2-3 times per day. They were a sign of hope, as trains brought the possibility of relatives or news about family to the many concentration camps.
Dr. Brian Weiss threw care to the wind of his professional reputation as a medical doctor when he published his first book about reincarnation in 1988. One day, I hope that some other doctor throws caution to the wind and publishes a book about autism and reincarnation. I live in hope. Currently, there is no cure for Autism, but there are many theories. This is just one that I have developed and I would greatly appreciate your feedback. Thank you in advance

ANSWER: Not having studied the issue extensively, and not having any direct contact with autistic children, I had wondered whether some of them might have been heavy users of LSD. I saw the work of a three-year-old girl who paints abstracts at a master level recently, and her work seemed consistent with that theory. However, I did not know all of these particular obsessions you cite as being common to many autistic children, the statistics regarding gender, and so-on. I think your theory is quite strong.

My guess is that autism is a symptom, a reaction of "pulling in upon oneself" for stability, security or safety, which could have more than one cause (just as homosexuality very likely has more than one cause).

I can do this much. If you want to write an article setting forth this theory, I will (upon final approval) place it in my Articles page, and draw attention to it in my News and Announcements page. That's about the most I can do for now, though I may be able to bring it to the attention of a few people in the field. I, too, have a master's in counseling. I do not, however, get much respect in the field (afterlife studies or reincarnation), perhaps because I am a bit too radical. You may peruse my website to see if you would like to have an article posted there (i.e., if you would want to be associated with it). If not, I'd respect your wishes but still attempt to bring it to a few people's attention. If I did post the article with your permission, and you changed your mind, I would pull it upon request.

The obvious question is whether you have run this past Rabbi Gershom. He has very particular, and to some degree, idiosyncratic ideas about reincarnation. Depending on how it strikes him, he might or might not be receptive. But it might be worth a try.

Best regards,
Stephen Sakellarios
www.ial.goldthread.com

(Note to AllExperts staff; normally I wouldn't give out my own website, but it's necessary in this case.)

QUESTION: Thank you for your quick response.  I have not heard of Rabbi Gershom, but will research and contact him.  My son is functionally non-verbal, with a vocabulary of about 30 words.  His verbal skills are gradual and rudimentary, so I can't help but think getting empirical data from this population would be difficult.  Yes, I would really like to post an article on your website.  I have checked it out and would be comfortable with it, as well as any feedback from your colleagues that could give their input on the theory.  I shall send an article within the next week. Thank you so much!

Answer
I think there may be experimental designs for non-verbal persons. The important thing would be to avoid traumatization in the testing process. I'm looking forward to receiving your article. However I am or am not taken seriously, I do have quite a few contacts.

My e-mail address is available on my website.

Best regards,
Stephen  

Reincarnation

Stephen Sakellarios