Relationship Recovery and Resilience/stress

Question
Hello, I want to tell you something and hopefully you can help me.
Some background info - I am a 28yo male, married for a couple of years and have been suffering on and off from depression for a good few years. Most of my depression is related to me and my personality. I should try to explain a bit more. I have always been a quiet and shy person. I get on well with pretty much anyone but I dont have any close friends, even among members of my family who I rarely see. I guess at times I feel lonely and would like to be more 'normal' (you probably hate that word but there it is). The situation is probably not helped by my wife working out of the country during the week and only back at weekends. Lately I have tried to be a bit more sociable with my work friends and also my wifes sister and her partner (just together, not married or engaged). I have been to see a counseller to talk about my depression and other issues for a few weeks. This week was a very tough week, I think things just got on top of me a bit too much - being lonely, cold weather, wife away etc.. and a bad week in work. On one of the evenings, my wifes sister came round for a cup of tea and a chat and I guess she could see something wasnt quite right with me and was asking questions. I guess I was at a particularly low point so I blurted out everything about how I had been feeling lately etc... and had a bit of a cry. My wifes sister offered me a hug which is just what i needed. However, as we separated, I kissed her. Im not really too sure what happened next, I think she was just surprised and caught offguard really while I apologised. Im not sure how long she stayed before getting a taxi, might have been 5mins or 30mins, its all a blur. Since then I have thought of nothing else. It's probably not helped by the fact that I find my sister in law very attractive and I think about her quite a bit while masturbating during the week/in shower etc... Ive even fantasised about her wearing her bridesmaid's dress for me. I guess all of this has me more confused than ever!
What do you think about my situation?

Answer
Hello,

What do I think about your situation?

I think there is a void in your life and if you continue to pursue any thoughts or behaviors that involve your sister-in-law, that void will become bigger due to a divorce.

Depression and lonliness can be very difficult challenges to overcome. That said millions of people do it everyday. You'll need to stop and ask yourself if the root cause is really your wife being away frequently or are you there other issues that go beyond what's on the surface.

Marriage is not a ticket to happiness. Even with someone to share life with, there is an element of our lives that we must navigate alone. There are places that only "we" can fill up.
Even with your wife traveling, the fact that you, so easily sought refuge and potentially more with her sister, is a sign that your emotional and mental state are not supporting clear judgement. You took a big risk.

It would be beneficial for you to start working closely with a professional in the area personal development with a focus on creating more healthy social outlets for yourself. It will mean an investment in time and a major shift in how you view that world and your place in it, but if you're willing to take a "risk" that makes sense for your life all the effort will have been worth it. Feelings of loneliness and isolation lead people to do things they would never dream of if they were connected and experiencing a sense of belonging. Don't be hard on yourself, but do take responsibility for yourself and creating the life you deserve.

I wish you the best.  

Relationship Recovery and Resilience

Sheila V. Robinson-Kiss