Relationship Recovery and Resilience/Transitioning into a Woman

Question
Hi Sheila,

I am a young 22 yr old recent college grad and I am starting to mature in all aspects of my life. In college I was your stereotypical drunk college party girl and I would frequently have drunken hookups. I stayed safe and haven't had any terrible physical repercussions, but I also haven't been in a serious relationship in over 3 years. I know I acted this way for other psychological reasons and now I am ready to move on from the naive girl I once was.  How do I move forward in my love life in a mature way without having a reputation from my past follow me? I regret some of the behavior I chose to partake in, but I can't change what has happened in my life.  Now I just really want to have a nice mature relationship with a man who wants the same thing and not someone who just wants me for my body, but I'm afraid my past will come up and ruin anything that I try to start....

Thanks!

Answer
Hello,

I don't think we can ever really "live down" our past, but we can "live up" to our future and all the potential that comes with it.

I am not the same woman I was 20 years ago, because we change with the passage of time. We've all done things we are not proud of... things we wish we could change. And if we could change those things it would be a pity because we would lose the great lessons that came along with traveling our unique road.

What if you meet a guy and the past comes up? Tell him, "that's my past and I choose to leave it there. I've evolved into a different person."

God almighty does not judge a man until his very last day, how is anyone we cross paths with qualified to judge us for leading lives we're all desperately trying to get through as best we can.

If a beautiful butterfly lands on your shoulder, will you admire it's colors and wings and splendor or waste time discussing it's life as caterpillar?

The people you'll meet on your path must meet you where you are TODAY, not where you used to be or they don't deserve to the honor of getting to know you at all.

Move forward and everyday commit to becoming more and more of the woman you want to be. It's your right to slip the old skin and grow a new one. I'm happy for you.

Best of luck.

Relationship Recovery and Resilience

Sheila V. Robinson-Kiss