Relativity/spacetravel and time

Question
This is just a small point
When the scientists say:- if you were travelling at say half the speed of  light it would take "X" number of years wrt earth for your craft to get to a particular star. Is the "X" no of  years  wrt those in the  spacecraft as well as those on earth or it is shorter for those on the craft( as the clocks slows down wrt earth and the star within the craft?) -  and if it is shorter - how much? Is the  rate of slowdown of time wrt earth on the  craft linear or exponential the faster it goes.  Its interesting that at very high speeds for those on earth it might be an impossibly long time  to reach the star, for those making the  journey it could  be acceptable.

Answer
Andrew, you asked four questions.

Given:
Speed of spacecraft wrt earth: 0.5 in units of c.
Time = X years wrt earth

Calculated:
Speed of spacecraft clocks wrt earth clocks = (1 + .25)^-1/2 = 0.9 approximately
Time of arrival wrt spacecraft =0.9X years

So the answer to questions 1 & 2 are No & Yes, and to 3, 10% shorter.

For 4, note that the rate of a moving clock wrt a stationary frame of reference is

(1 + v*v/c*c)^-1/2.

Your comment at the end is correct.

If you want more information, I would be happy to answer more questions.

Ben  

Relativity

Uncle Ben