Relativity/Is the speed of light not invariant, trough vacuum or trough matter?.

Question
did Einstein say "the speed of light is not invariant, trough vacuum or trough matter", "if there is gravitation"?

Answer
The speed of light is quite sensitive to the medium through which it moves. It is about 2/3c in glass and 3/4c in water. That is how lenses work. This has been known a long time before Einstein.

Einstein predicted also that the speed of light varies with the gravitational field. That is how the sun bends the path of light very slightly when light from a star passes close to it on its way to earth. This effect is tiny compared to the effect of glass and water.

So I have to say yes to your question.

Ben  

Relativity

Uncle Ben