Repetitive Strain Injury/Calf injury/Muay Thai

Question

Iím writing to see if you can help me with a calf injury that has been ongoing for almost seven months. Iíve tried a lot of different treatments but my calf just will not heal and I donít know what to do. My Google searches have created more confusion than resolution ó there are so many schools of thought about icing/heating, the type of exercise that I can do with the injury (swimming/elliptical/stationary bike), stretching verses not stretching, etc. In addition, after reading many online articles and discussions on calf injuries, I now donít even know what kind of injury I have. I thought it was a calf strain (micro tears in the calf muscles) but maybe itís not.

The injury started in May. I was in a Muay Thai kickboxing class doing pad work. After I did a few roundhouse kicks (which involves raising up on the ball of your foot and pivoting), I had to stop because my calf got so tight that I couldnít even walk on it. I iced it and stayed off of it for a few days. It got better so I went back to my normal routine of running on the treadmill for 30 minutes and taking a muay thai class or kettlebell class. I hurt it again Ė ran on the treadmill one night and the next day I felt like I couldnít walk without pain (September). After that, I stopped doing roundhouse kicks and running but continued to do the elliptical and did muay thai without the roundhouse kicks (mainly boxing). As well, I started physical therapy. It seemed to get a little better but still hurt so I stopped the boxing about a month ago and just did the elliptical, kettelebell, and swimming freestyle. But it just wonít stop hurting. My physical therapist has me off of all exercise now. I canít tell if itís getting better. Iíve taken off for five days so far but it still hurts.

Most of the pain is along the outside upper calf area Ė muscles that run along outside of calf from knee down to heel. Itís definitely tight so massage feels good. The pain is sort of throbbing and sometimes burns.

Iím trying to figure out what to do next. I am so frustrated and am really scared that Iím never going to be able to do muay thai or run again. Will you let me know if you think your method could help with my injury?

Thanks so much for your time.
Kind regards,
Michelle

Answer
Hi Michelle,

I've worked with thousands of athletes and I've seen that many times chronic calf spasms aren't actually being caused by the calf muscles, but is actually the end-result of a list of other muscles that are causing your pelvis to press up into the sciatic nerve.  When there is a sciatic nerve impingement the calf spasms.  You work on the calf muscles (using massage, etc.) and/or rest, and it feels better for a short time. However, as soon as you begin to exercise again, it starts to hurt again.  Your explanation of the problem you're having makes be believe that this is what is happening to you when your calf chronically spasms.

It will help if you first go to http://www.julstro.com and read all the information about repetitive strain injuries that is on the Home Page, including the sections titled "Muscles and Pain" and "What's Happening Exactly."  Then if you go to http://forum.julstrointernational.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=762 you can read about each of the muscles involved in rotating your pelvis and causing the pressure on your sciatic nerve.  

Please feel free to come back and we can continue this discussion if you have more questions after reading the information above.

Wishing you well,
   Julie Donnelly

Repetitive Strain Injury

Julie Donnelly, LMT