Repetitive Strain Injury/Calf tear

Question
Hello Julie,

I am feeling incredibly frustrated.  I have run for quite a long time, and about a year ago was 30 minutes into a run when my calf suddenly pulled.  It was incredibly strange - I was already warmed up, and well into the run, and the muscle just sort of popped.  I bruised on the back of my calf, and had a lot of trouble walking for a few days after that.  I let the injury heal for a few weeks, and then went back to running.  

As I ran those first days, I could slowly feel the calf beginning to tear again - it was the strangest thing.  At a certain point, the pain came back sufficiently that I once again stopped running.  The weird thing here is that I could rest and get the calf completely pain free, but running again immediately aggravated the calf, no matter how long I rested (sometimes up to 3 months).

I have now stopped running altogether, and am doing CrossFit, which has me in the best shape of my life.  A couple weeks ago, while doing box jumps, I pulled the calf again, out of the blue, 20+ minutes into the work out.  I rested, went back, and now can hardly do anything without re-injuring the calf.

This is seriously starting to get me down.  Rest doesn't seem to help, and neither does warming up - I am actually pullling the calf 20-30 minutes into my workouts.  Any suggestions you have would be deeply appreciated.

Best, Micah

Answer
Hi Micah,

It's interesting, I just spoke to another athlete who is also having chronic calf pain that keeps re-occurring.  For some reason, athletes who have tight muscles pulling on the front of the pelvis and causing pressure on the sciatic nerve, have chronic calf spasms.  I don't know why it rarely happens to non-athletes, but it very frequently happens to athletes.

The first thing I'd like to have you do is to go to http://www.julstro.com and read all about repetitive strain injuries.  Then go to http://forum.julstrointernational.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=762 and read about each of the muscles that will rotate your pelvis down in the front and up in the back.  It's more involved than that, but you'll understand as you read the thread.

You can find a massage therapist who knows how to do trigger point therapy, or you can learn how to do it yourself.  I like my clients to learn self-treatment so they can continue their therapy at home, and do it frequently which will get the muscle to relax quickly, as soon as it starts to get strained again.  Since you're an athlete, it will definitely go into spasm again, but if you know how to stop it, it won't cause problems in the future.

In either case, I think you'll be able to reverse this problem and get back to exercising without pain.

Wishing you well,
   Julie Donnelly

Repetitive Strain Injury

Julie Donnelly, LMT