Repetitive Strain Injury/inner thigh/groin discomfort

For the past 2 years i have had tightness and discomfort in my upper inner thigh/groin area. I have no bulge or anything. It started 2 years ago after i lifted some weights but after a few months it for better but then i lifted again 5 months ago and it came back..I was diagnosed with prostatitis, not sure if it has to deal with that??..Mostly it bothers me when i first sit down or have to go to the bathroom as in number 2..I use a thigh wrap all the time and that tends to help and well so does when I drink alcohol it seems to relax more.. But the discomfort moves as well to inner thigh groin area and up to my hip area..,,,Also the discomfort is like almost all the time besides when i lay down after awhile...Any ideas of what it could be??..Please help

Hi Patrick,

Yes, I have an idea that it's being caused by all of the muscles that have an impact on your pelvis.  It sounds like your pelvis is rotated forward and down, causing your pubic bone to move backward and overstretching the muscles of your inner thigh.  

The first thing I suggest is that you go to and read about repetitive strain injuries, including the sections titled "Muscles and Pain" and "What's Happening Exactly."  Then go to and read about each of the muscles that will rotate your pelvis, causing the overstretching of the inner thigh muscles.

Since you can only drink so much alcohol before it becomes a problem, I recommend that you get some arnica gel and arnica remedy from a good health food store.  Arnica is a homeopathic remedy that has been proven to heal bruised muscles, and is also know to ease pain and swelling.  Another thing that relaxes the body/muscles is valerian root tea.  It's a bit bitter, but you get used to the smell/taste and eventually it's okay. If you blend it with camomile tea it really relaxes the body, and it's not as bitter.  You can also put a little honey into it for the taste.

You'll see as you read the website mentioned that you can self-treat each of the muscles.  I suggest that after you treat each of the muscles listed in the Julstro Protocol (either learn how to do it yourself, or go to a good massage therapist who can do trigger point therapy), then also treat the muscles of your inner thigh (adductors) to make sure they aren't tight.

I think you'll get over all of this as soon as you take the pressure off your pelvis.

Wishing you well,
  Julie Donnelly

Repetitive Strain Injury

Julie Donnelly, LMT

I can accept questions that relate to chronic or acute pain caused by muscle spasms and contractions. Repetitive Strain Injury is actually Cumulative Trauma to muscles. Releasing the spasm &/or contraction will relieve the strain that is felt at the insertion point on the bone. I am the co-developer of the unique safe-stretching program "Focused Flexibility Training," which combines easy instruction for self-treating spasms throughout your body with proven yoga stretches. I have recently authored two new books: "The 15 Minute Back Pain Solution," and "The Secret to Your Best Golf Game EVER!

Since 1989 I have been working with endurance athletes and individuals suffering from chronic pain conditions. I have authored seven self-treatment books and three self-treatment DVDs and I have developed the Julstro System for the treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome, Trigger Finger, and other Hand/Wrist pain. I am a national and international presenter at conventions, seminars, and workshops. Principle topics are "Work Shouldn't Hurt," and "The Pain Free Athlete." In 2005 and 2006 I was the massage therapist for ultracyclists competing in the Race Across America (RAAM) 3000+ mile race from San Diego, CA to Atlantic City, NJ. I've taught the Julstro techniques to physical therapists at the Cleveland Clinic, to massage therapists in areas around the USA, and I've taught Julstro self-treatment clinics to dancers at Juilliard School of Performing Arts (NYC),the sprinting team at NC State, and I am working closely with several Olympic-hopeful. We have successfully eliminated the repetitive strain injuries that could keep them out of the Olympic Games, and the best part is they know how to do the self-treatments so they can stay pain-free and flexible.

Triathlete Magazine, Endurance Magazine, multiple national and international trade journals.

Swedish Institute of Allied Health, NY, NY - Initial education in massage therapy Licensed NYS Massage Therapist since 1989. SUNY Empire State College, Saratoga Springs, NY - B.Sc. degree in Interdisciplinary Health Education I was an Associate Professor helping to develop the massage training program for SUNY Rockland Community College

Privacy prevents me from filling in this section without prior consent from my clients. Life Experience: I have been specializing in the treatment of chronic pain and sports injuries since receiving my NY massage license in 1989. A personal bout with carpal tunnel syndrome was the catalyst to my developing a self-treatment that heals the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome quickly and without surgery. My work with endurance athletes was the inspiration to teach people how to self-treat so they could stop pains even during a race or heavy training day. Both of these situations ultimately became the products that are sold on my websites: and I currently treat people in my offices in Sarasota, FL, Cary, NC, or Pearl River, NY