Repetitive Strain Injury/repeated muscle / ligament tearss

Question
over the last 6 years i have had various muscle and ligament injuries.. some due to sport some out of the blue. i am type 2 diabetic and wondered if this or some nutritional imbalance may be contributing towards these injuries.
right ankle ligament tear (3 yr recovery)sport
left ankle ligament tear (1yr recovery)trip
left thigh muscle (3 month recovery)sport
left calf muscle (trcent and ongoing)walking
right thumb random
left shoulder random
many of these are still tender and weak

Answer
Hi Jenni,

I don't think that the diabetes has anything to do with this, it actually sounds like it's just repetitive strain injuries to the various muscles.  You may want to check with your physician to confirm that diabetes isn't complicating the muscle healing.

The problem I've found over the years is that people exercise, sometimes extensively, but they don't work at releasing the toxins that have built up in the muscle fibers, or the spasms that have formed and are causing the fibers to shorten and strain the insertion points.  It's not difficult to self-treat, it's must a matter of knowing where to press for each situation as the spasms are rarely at the point where the pain is felt.

If you go to http://www.julstro.com you can read about repetitive strain injuries, I suggest you also read the sections titled "Muscles and Pain" and "What's Happening Exactly."  Then take a look at the Muscle and Joint Pain forum and read some of the threads that relate to your areas of discomfort.

When a muscle is held in the shortened position for an extended period of time, a phenomenon called muscle memory will cause the muscle to shorten permanently, putting a strain on the tendons and insertion points.  You can reverse the shorten muscle memory by treating the muscles frequently, even every day, until they revert back to their correct length and take the strain off the tendon and bone.

As for the weakness, it is my experience with my clients that when a muscle is shortened you will lose strength in the muscle as the fibers are too short to have any pulling power left. If you treat the spasms and then stretch you will likely get your strength to return.

I suggest you always treat the tight muscles before you do any stretching so you won't tear the muscle or tendon, plus you'll get a better stretch when the muscle isn't tight.

Wishing you well,
  Julie Donnelly

Repetitive Strain Injury

Julie Donnelly, LMT