Repetitive Strain Injury/RSI - Right Arm

I have been suffering with acute painful numbing pins and needles running up and down my right hand and arm up to my shoulder.  I am a very physically active 52-year old woman.  I exercise every day and use a gel pad and wrist support when working at my laptop.  But the pain is uncomfortable and I can't sleep well because of it.  Can you suggest: Alternative therapies, remedies, exercise and massage for this form of RSI?  Thank you.

Hi Donna,

I know exactly what you mean, I had also suffered from this same situation and it got so bad that I was having to shut down my therapy practice. I refused surgery and the drugs that were recommended and I started to really search for an answer by looking at every muscle that crosses over the nerves to the hand. It turned out that it was coming from muscle spasms from my neck all the way to my hand.

I suggest you go to and then look at the section called "Anatomy Lessons."  This section discusses each of the muscles involved, and I'm happy to say that they are easy to self-treat.

When it was happening to me, and when I realized the muscles that were involved, I figured out how to treat each of the muscles to release the spasms that were causing the pressure on the nerves (median-goes to thumb and first two fingers; ulnar-goes to the ring and pinky fingers).  

It was amazing to me that the scalenes, a group of muscles in my neck, were pressing on a bundle of nerves called the brachial plexus, and that was also causing the painful tingling and numbness all the way from my shoulder to my fingers.  

I'm happy to say that after I figured it out on me, I started to teach people how to self-treat. Eventually I realized that I didn't need to touch my clients to teach them, I just needed to demonstrate and they would copy me, and that's when I developed the Julstro System that you'll see on the website.  It has helped people all of the major countries in the world! You can either decide to learn how to self-treat so you can do the treatments every day until the muscle tension and spasms are totally released, or you could go to a trigger point massage therapist and have it done for you.  If you decide to go to the therapist, bring the list of muscles you need treated (you can copy them from the website), but you'll need to go several times as a phenomenon called muscle memory will cause the muscles to keep shortening until they are "re-trained" to be their correct length.  That's why I like self-treatment, it's easy to do and once you learn how to do it, you will be able to eliminate the pain quickly and easily if it does return.  

Wishing you well,
  Julie Donnelly

Repetitive Strain Injury

Julie Donnelly, LMT

I can accept questions that relate to chronic or acute pain caused by muscle spasms and contractions. Repetitive Strain Injury is actually Cumulative Trauma to muscles. Releasing the spasm &/or contraction will relieve the strain that is felt at the insertion point on the bone. I am the co-developer of the unique safe-stretching program "Focused Flexibility Training," which combines easy instruction for self-treating spasms throughout your body with proven yoga stretches. I have recently authored two new books: "The 15 Minute Back Pain Solution," and "The Secret to Your Best Golf Game EVER!

Since 1989 I have been working with endurance athletes and individuals suffering from chronic pain conditions. I have authored seven self-treatment books and three self-treatment DVDs and I have developed the Julstro System for the treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome, Trigger Finger, and other Hand/Wrist pain. I am a national and international presenter at conventions, seminars, and workshops. Principle topics are "Work Shouldn't Hurt," and "The Pain Free Athlete." In 2005 and 2006 I was the massage therapist for ultracyclists competing in the Race Across America (RAAM) 3000+ mile race from San Diego, CA to Atlantic City, NJ. I've taught the Julstro techniques to physical therapists at the Cleveland Clinic, to massage therapists in areas around the USA, and I've taught Julstro self-treatment clinics to dancers at Juilliard School of Performing Arts (NYC),the sprinting team at NC State, and I am working closely with several Olympic-hopeful. We have successfully eliminated the repetitive strain injuries that could keep them out of the Olympic Games, and the best part is they know how to do the self-treatments so they can stay pain-free and flexible.

Triathlete Magazine, Endurance Magazine, multiple national and international trade journals.

Swedish Institute of Allied Health, NY, NY - Initial education in massage therapy Licensed NYS Massage Therapist since 1989. SUNY Empire State College, Saratoga Springs, NY - B.Sc. degree in Interdisciplinary Health Education I was an Associate Professor helping to develop the massage training program for SUNY Rockland Community College

Privacy prevents me from filling in this section without prior consent from my clients. Life Experience: I have been specializing in the treatment of chronic pain and sports injuries since receiving my NY massage license in 1989. A personal bout with carpal tunnel syndrome was the catalyst to my developing a self-treatment that heals the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome quickly and without surgery. My work with endurance athletes was the inspiration to teach people how to self-treat so they could stop pains even during a race or heavy training day. Both of these situations ultimately became the products that are sold on my websites: and I currently treat people in my offices in Sarasota, FL, Cary, NC, or Pearl River, NY