Repetitive Strain Injury/Knee Pain

Question
Hi Julie,

I have had pain just slight below and to the right kneecap in the divot that is there if you know where I mean.
Its not a pain caused by pressure, I can put as much or a little pressure on that leg as I like, it seems to be caused more by leg use.

I've had it since November 2011, I've been to the GP once and they prescribed me with an anti inflammatory called Naproxen 250mg but they didn't have any effect. Painkillers have no effect on it either. Even since I was a kid my knees have both clicked when ever I knelt down but since I have had this it doesn't happen in my right knee any longer. Sometimes after waking up or sitting at a desk for a while when I get up the whole knee feels kind of tight as if its just expanded.

I don't do a lot of exercise but I do walk around 30-40 miles a day with my work.
I have been prescribed the exact same medication for a shoulder problem I have now. I am hoping it might cure both but I doubt this will be the case.

Thanks for your time and I hope I have provided you with enough info

Patrick

Answer
Hi Patrick,

There are several reasons why you may have knee pain given your level of activity.  The first is that your quadriceps are tight and are pulling up on your kneecap.  The second is more involved but is such a common cause of knee pain that it is worth exploring.

I suggest you go to http://www.julstro.com and read about Muscles and Pain, including the sections titled "Muscles and Pain" and "What's Happening Exactly," and then go to http://forum.julstrointernational.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=762 to read about each muscle that rotates your pelvis and has an end-result of putting pressure on your knees.

After you have read all that information, please feel free to come back and we'll continue the discussion.  The odds are very good that you can self-treat each of the muscles and get significant relief, if not complete relief from this pain.

Wishing you well,
   Julie Donnelly

Repetitive Strain Injury

Julie Donnelly, LMT