Repetitive Strain Injury/Muscle/nerve/femoralspasms

6yrs ago I was rising to my legs were both pulled up to my waist.As I stood up the most
Intense shooting pain tore through my right leg from the inside of my right thigh to my ankle.the pain was sudden and without was centered along the inside of my upper thigh.i have varicose veins in both legs ( upper and lower ) .i was treated with a Venus ablation to shrink and remove the upper great
Sap heinous vein. In 2008(feb) .however half a dozen more times this sudden excruciating experience
Has overtaken me.At the outset of one of these traumas I quickly try to stand and walk which
Fortunately causes the spasm to cease.i am constantly aware of the potentiality of a reoccurrence.
What is this? How can I treat this?

Hi David,

This is out of my expertise, have you seen your physician about these re-occurring pains?  Spasms can occur like this when your nutrition is out of balance so the muscles are deficient in the nutrients necessary for them to function properly. I would speak to a homeopathic/naturopathic physician as they are more qualified to test your blood/urine for missing nutrients.  An osteopathic physician may also be able to advise you properly.  Also, if you are on some medications this could be a side-effect, you'll need to ask your doctor if you are taking any type of meds.

Since the spasm stops when you stand and walk, it could mean that a nerve is being impinged. While muscles could be a part of that situation, especially your iliopsoas &/or piriformis muscles, I would eliminate the other situations first as they are more serious.

Good luck, there is definitely an answer to this problem, it's just a matter of finding the right medical professional to treat it. If it were me, I'd go to the osteopath first, and then the naturopath.

Wishing you well,
   Julie Donnelly

Repetitive Strain Injury

Julie Donnelly, LMT

I can accept questions that relate to chronic or acute pain caused by muscle spasms and contractions. Repetitive Strain Injury is actually Cumulative Trauma to muscles. Releasing the spasm &/or contraction will relieve the strain that is felt at the insertion point on the bone. I am the co-developer of the unique safe-stretching program "Focused Flexibility Training," which combines easy instruction for self-treating spasms throughout your body with proven yoga stretches. I have recently authored two new books: "The 15 Minute Back Pain Solution," and "The Secret to Your Best Golf Game EVER!

Since 1989 I have been working with endurance athletes and individuals suffering from chronic pain conditions. I have authored seven self-treatment books and three self-treatment DVDs and I have developed the Julstro System for the treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome, Trigger Finger, and other Hand/Wrist pain. I am a national and international presenter at conventions, seminars, and workshops. Principle topics are "Work Shouldn't Hurt," and "The Pain Free Athlete." In 2005 and 2006 I was the massage therapist for ultracyclists competing in the Race Across America (RAAM) 3000+ mile race from San Diego, CA to Atlantic City, NJ. I've taught the Julstro techniques to physical therapists at the Cleveland Clinic, to massage therapists in areas around the USA, and I've taught Julstro self-treatment clinics to dancers at Juilliard School of Performing Arts (NYC),the sprinting team at NC State, and I am working closely with several Olympic-hopeful. We have successfully eliminated the repetitive strain injuries that could keep them out of the Olympic Games, and the best part is they know how to do the self-treatments so they can stay pain-free and flexible.

Triathlete Magazine, Endurance Magazine, multiple national and international trade journals.

Swedish Institute of Allied Health, NY, NY - Initial education in massage therapy Licensed NYS Massage Therapist since 1989. SUNY Empire State College, Saratoga Springs, NY - B.Sc. degree in Interdisciplinary Health Education I was an Associate Professor helping to develop the massage training program for SUNY Rockland Community College

Privacy prevents me from filling in this section without prior consent from my clients. Life Experience: I have been specializing in the treatment of chronic pain and sports injuries since receiving my NY massage license in 1989. A personal bout with carpal tunnel syndrome was the catalyst to my developing a self-treatment that heals the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome quickly and without surgery. My work with endurance athletes was the inspiration to teach people how to self-treat so they could stop pains even during a race or heavy training day. Both of these situations ultimately became the products that are sold on my websites: and I currently treat people in my offices in Sarasota, FL, Cary, NC, or Pearl River, NY