Repetitive Strain Injury/Nasty pain in shoulder area due to trapped nerve

Question
Hi Julie

7 days ago I awoke at 2.00am from pain in the middle of my right deltoid. The pain got worse throughout the night until it was severe. I booked myself into the see my GP first thing the following day. They told me I had a trapped nerve and prescribed Codeine. 7 days later there is no let up, the pain is just as bad. I have trouble lifting my hand higher than my shoulder it feels very weak and painful. The pain has spread down the outside of the upper arm as well.
I think I have Repetitive Strain Injury to my neck muscle which are pinching the nerve than runs through them. The muscles I think are called Scalene and SCM. The nerve comes from c5.
I think RSi because I sit at a PC all day for work and I have also been fitness/strength training quite intensively recently which I think tipped the RSI over the edge.
Also it feels very tender to put pressure on my flesh just abover the collar bone.
I can hardly work in this state so I need to do something about it. Please do you have any suggestions? It is agony!
If I a wrong in what i say please tell me.

many thanks
Charles
London, England

Answer
Hi Charles,

I think you are absolutely correct, especially about your scalenes.  Another muscle that can be causing this problem is your pectoralis minor because it pulls your shoulder forward (using your mouse and typing) and when it is tight and you are trying to bring your arm back, you put pressure on the nerves that go to your arm and hand, plus you may also have burning pain in the middle of your shoulders. Your biceps can also be causing the problem because the short head of the muscle originates on the same bone as the pectoralis minor, so tight biceps (from keeping your arm bent for hours at a time) will put pressure on the nerves to your arm and hand.

If you go to http://www.CarpalTunnelTreatment.org you can read about each of the muscles by going to the Anatomy Lessons page, and you'll also find out how to learn to self-treat each of the muscles from your neck to your hand. ng.

If you go to http://www.julstro.com you can read why repetitive strain will cause muscle and nerve pain.  I suggest you read the sections titled "Muscles and Pain" and "What Happens Exactly." Two other muscles I'd look at is your subclavius (under your collarbone), and your pectoralis major as it inserts close to where I believe you are describi

I believe you'll be able to eliminate these problems, it's just a matter of knowing exactly which muscles to self-treat and where the exact point is located in the muscle.  It's not hard.

Wishing you well,
   Julie Donnelly

Repetitive Strain Injury

Julie Donnelly, LMT