Repetitive Strain Injury/Right calf pain with running

Question
Dear Ms Donnelly - Thank you for your time. I am an orthopedic surgeon who has been running for 45 years. Five years ago I began having intermittent mid calf pain (feels a little deep) that comes and goes. It has now kept me from running for several months. This is not in my Achilles area. I cross train regularly and stretch regularly (there is more tightness in the Achilles stretch on the right than the left). I do sets of deep toe raises three to four times a week with an emphasis on eccentric strengthening. I've visited massage therapists with no turn around. I really miss running the hills here in Colorado. I'm a healthy 66 year old man. Can you help me?

Answer
Hi James,

I've been working with athletes for over 20 years, and calf spasms are common (as I'm sure you know), but most athletes have more than just spasms in the gastrocnemius and soleus.  It's actually very common for the problem to be coming from spasms in the psoas, iliacus, and rectus femoris that are putting a strain on the anterior pelvis, causing it to be pulled down in the front.  As that happens the posterior pelvis is pressing up onto the sciatic nerve, and that sends messages to the calf to go into spasm.  Through the years I've found that this is almost always the case for athletes, and rarely the case for non-athletes.  I don't know why, but it's amazing how often it happens.

Another thing that happens is people will stretch but not release the spasms first, as a result the spasms get tighter and could even tear muscle fibers. With your medical background I'm sure you understand how repetitive strain injuries will cause spasms that refer to other areas, but you might enjoy reading the way I describe it. I suggest you read http://www.julstro.com and then go to the sections titled "Muscles and Pain" and "What's Happening Exactly."  Then go to http://forum.julstrointernational.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=762 to read about each muscle involved in the pelvic rotation that will ultimately cause chronic calf spasms.

I believe you will be pleased with the results of first releasing the spasms and then doing the stretches.  It's easy to self-treat, the website will explain how you can learn the techniques.  The problem with most massage therapists (love them, and I am one so I have respect for what they do) is that either they don't go deep enough, or they go deep but they are sliding so they pass over the spasm but they don't hold sustained pressure on the spasms.  This is what is needed to have the spasm release.

After you have read everything, if you would like to continue this discussion, please feel free to post again.

Wishing you well,
   Julie Donnelly

If you go to  

Repetitive Strain Injury

Julie Donnelly, LMT