Repetitive Strain Injury/SCM causing vertigo

Question
Unfortunately, I live in California and not near you in NC.  I have suffered from chronic neck/shoulder pain for years.  I recently began seeing a massage therapist to help.  After only 2 session I experienced mild to moderate headaches and insane vertigo.  The vertigo became so severe I ended up going to the ER.  Nothing of concern showed up, so they assumed it was from the SCM.  The left side is much worse than the right, but both are just one long band of hard knots.  I am now taking Valium at bedtime and applying ice and lidocaine patches.  My question is should I let this settle down for a few weeks and then attempt massage therapy again, just warning her to maybe go gentle.  Or should I see someone else who is more specialized in the particular area such as PT?

I live near Palm Springs in case you know anyone in this area who you could recommend,

Thanks so much.  My 4 boys appreciate any help- they are sick of hearing me complain and fetching me ice packs:)

Answer
Hi Kerry,

I just moved to Florida on Monday, but still too far from California.  I totally agree with you that your SCM is the problem, it's a very common cause for vertigo, tinnitus, and ear pain. The good news is that you can successfully self-treat the sternocleidomastoid muscle easily.  If you go to http://www.julstro.com you'll be able to read all about repetitive strain injuries, I suggest you also read the sections titled "Muscles and Pain" and "What's Happening Exactly."

I have a self-treatment book titled "Treat Yourself to Pain-Free Living."  While you're on the website, take a look at it as this is where you'll get the treatment for all the neck muscles, including the SCM.

BTW, I used to live in Indio. Loved it, even though it was 128 degrees one summer day!

Wishing you well,
   Julie Donnelly

Repetitive Strain Injury

Julie Donnelly, LMT