Repetitive Strain Injury/Repetitive Strain Injury

Question
Hello Julie,

I ran across a post by you that may fit my issue.
I sit at a computer 8 hours a day, I have had bad posture for years which I have corrected. I have suffered for about 2 years now with pain pain and more pain.  Chest pain, shoulder pain, neck pain, back pain, all which has calmed where I can control it now. But, my neck from the base to the back of my ear (mastoid) hurts to the touch ( jaw included)   and something on the right side up the neck makes me dizzy and spaced out feeling. I think it is in the mastoid bone area. I can feel it tighten more and more and my ear on that side starts to hurt and feel like its going to pop. My ear on that right side also feels the pain in a way, it gets red and starts to water, like it is getting fatigued. This makes me really worn out. I am just looking for any suggestions or answers.. I have been to ER, had a MRI, family doctors, physical therapists, chiros, nothing has helped me.

Thank you for your time,
Aarron

Answer
Hi Aaron,

I'm glad you have already seen your physician and everything has been shown to be clear, this gives us a excellent chance that it's all being caused by a tight muscle.  The muscle I believe is causing the problem is the sternocleidomastoid (SCM for short).  The SCM originates on the front of your collar bone and inserts into the mastoid bone.  When it contracts you turn your head in the opposite direction.

It will help you understand if you go to http://www.julstro.com and read the sections titled "Muscles and Pain" and "What's Happening Exactly."  When the SCM is tight it is pulling hard on the mastoid bone and you can feel pain on the side of your head, and especially into your ear.  This is the muscle that is involved in tinnitus and loss of equilibrium. It's not difficult to self-treat, it's just a bit tricky to explain without the benefit of pictures.

If you turn your head very hard to the side (let's say you turn to the left, your right SCM will be prominent, and vice-versa.  Find the muscle with your fingers and then put your bent pointer finger (same side hand)in the front of the muscle (as close to your jaw as possible) and your thumb on the back of the muscle.  Don't squeeze yet, just fine the area.  Now turn your head so you are facing forward, now squeeze the muscle.  Be sure you don't feel a pulse under your fingers or you are pressing on your carotid artery.  It will probably hurt, and may refer into your eye, head, or ear.  Just hold it until it stops hurting.

There are other ways steps to treating this muscle, but this is the most important one.  I hope you'll be able to do it as it's very effective.

Wishing you well,
    Julie Donnelly

Repetitive Strain Injury

Julie Donnelly, LMT