Repetitive Strain Injury/scm

Question
I have had head and and ear pressure for almost 12 mos.  all mri's and cat scans show nothing.  the countless blood test show nothing as well.   I saw a chiro for a 1.5 months who did daily neck adjustments.  soon after I developed pasesthesia in arms at first then every where.  I can't sleep because the sensations get so intense.  I also get lightheadedness  and nasua.  I thought this could be scm related, but my doctors cannot say for sure.

Dont know if you can help but appreciate the time

Answer
Hi Basil,

I agree with you that the problem is very likely caused by a tight SCM, and this is confirmed by all the medical tests coming out negative. I imagine that you are fully aware how to feel your SCM by this time, so I'd like to have you use flat fingers and press flat into the SCM, pressing it in toward your neck.  Go all the way up to just below the bone that is behind your ear (the mastoid bone). The numbness you are feeling could also be coming from your scalenes (an anterior neck muscle), &/or your Levator Scapulae (a neck/shoulder muscle) pulling your cervical vertebrae and causing the bones to press on the Brachial Plexus (a bundle of nerves in your neck) or your spinal cord.

I believe it will help if you go to http://www.julstro.com and then go to the section titled "Muscles and Pain" and "What's Happening Exactly."  This will give you more information about tight muscles and how they impact bones.  In your case, the SCM is pulling on the mastoid bone and causing the tiny bones inside your ear to hit askew, which will cause each of the symptoms you are describing.  

There are other ways of treating the SCM but they are confusing to explain in an email message, basically you grip the muscle all the way up toward the mastoid bone, and then hold it for 30-60 seconds.  If your Otolaryngologist (ENT physician) feels that the tiny bones in your ear are all lined up properly, I believe that treating the SCM, and the other muscles, will be effective.

Wishing you well,
   Julie Donnelly  

Repetitive Strain Injury

Julie Donnelly, LMT