Repetitive Strain Injury/Glutes and hamstrings

I am a distance runner, normally logging up to 60 miles a week. For the last 4 months my glutes have been playing up, painful when sitting down and when driving and the hamstring is painful to stretch.

I have had plenty of massages on both of them, stretching all the time and seen an Osteopath who has clicked my back a few times, loosened the SI joint and although slightly better it still has not gone away.

It seemed to start when doing some reps in Cyprus which included a big hill both up and down

Rest does not seem to help it either

I would be grateful for any suggestions and ways forward

Hi Terry,

First of all, please stop trying to stretch your hamstrings until you have read all the information I'm giving and you have released all the muscles mentioned.  The odds are very high that your hamstrings are actually overstretched AND in spasm, so further stretching will make the matter worse.

To explain, first please go to and read about repetitive strain injuries, I suggest you also read the sections titled "Muscles and Pain" and "What's Happening Exactly." Then go to and read why muscles from your low back to your knees are a part of this problem. You will have a much better understanding of what is happening to your glutes and hamstrings.

I suggest you release the tension in each of the muscles listed, and then stretch all of them (do all of the treatments before you stretch anything to avoid tearing a tight muscle).  After you have read all of that, please feel free to come back and we can discuss this further.

I've worked with thousands of athletes and I am certain that you can overcome this problem by releasing the muscles mentioned, I've seen it over and over.

Wishing you well,
   Julie Donnelly  

Repetitive Strain Injury

Julie Donnelly, LMT

I can accept questions that relate to chronic or acute pain caused by muscle spasms and contractions. Repetitive Strain Injury is actually Cumulative Trauma to muscles. Releasing the spasm &/or contraction will relieve the strain that is felt at the insertion point on the bone. I am the co-developer of the unique safe-stretching program "Focused Flexibility Training," which combines easy instruction for self-treating spasms throughout your body with proven yoga stretches. I have recently authored two new books: "The 15 Minute Back Pain Solution," and "The Secret to Your Best Golf Game EVER!

Since 1989 I have been working with endurance athletes and individuals suffering from chronic pain conditions. I have authored seven self-treatment books and three self-treatment DVDs and I have developed the Julstro System for the treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome, Trigger Finger, and other Hand/Wrist pain. I am a national and international presenter at conventions, seminars, and workshops. Principle topics are "Work Shouldn't Hurt," and "The Pain Free Athlete." In 2005 and 2006 I was the massage therapist for ultracyclists competing in the Race Across America (RAAM) 3000+ mile race from San Diego, CA to Atlantic City, NJ. I've taught the Julstro techniques to physical therapists at the Cleveland Clinic, to massage therapists in areas around the USA, and I've taught Julstro self-treatment clinics to dancers at Juilliard School of Performing Arts (NYC),the sprinting team at NC State, and I am working closely with several Olympic-hopeful. We have successfully eliminated the repetitive strain injuries that could keep them out of the Olympic Games, and the best part is they know how to do the self-treatments so they can stay pain-free and flexible.

Triathlete Magazine, Endurance Magazine, multiple national and international trade journals.

Swedish Institute of Allied Health, NY, NY - Initial education in massage therapy Licensed NYS Massage Therapist since 1989. SUNY Empire State College, Saratoga Springs, NY - B.Sc. degree in Interdisciplinary Health Education I was an Associate Professor helping to develop the massage training program for SUNY Rockland Community College

Privacy prevents me from filling in this section without prior consent from my clients. Life Experience: I have been specializing in the treatment of chronic pain and sports injuries since receiving my NY massage license in 1989. A personal bout with carpal tunnel syndrome was the catalyst to my developing a self-treatment that heals the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome quickly and without surgery. My work with endurance athletes was the inspiration to teach people how to self-treat so they could stop pains even during a race or heavy training day. Both of these situations ultimately became the products that are sold on my websites: and I currently treat people in my offices in Sarasota, FL, Cary, NC, or Pearl River, NY