Repetitive Strain Injury/pain above bicep when lifting arms

Question
I have pain in both arms between the top of my biceps and bottom of my shoulders when I lift my arms. I have to use one arm to lift the other arm above my head. This has been going on for years but it comes on for a few days and goes away for a few weeks. It is very difficult to perform my daily routine such as showering, dressing, working, etc. I have an EMG tomorrow for possible carpal tunnel syndrome. Could the carpal tunnel be causing the pain in my arms?

Answer
Hi Amanda,

I don't believe that carpal tunnel syndrome has anything to do with the pain you are experiencing. Carpal tunnel syndrome is a swelling in the wrist (carpal tunnel) that is impinging on the median nerve.  The primary cause of carpal tunnel syndrome is diabetes, edema, pregnancy, or a sprain that has caused fluid retention in the wrist area.  You can read about carpal tunnel syndrome by going to http://www.CarpalTunnelTreatment.org.  While you are there I suggest you go to the section titled "Anatomy Lessons" and look at each of the muscles that impinge on the median nerve from the origin all the way to the insertion. Each of those muscles can be the cause of tingling all the way down your arm and into your hand.

As for lifting your arms, I believe that the main problem is coming from one or more of the following muscles: latissimus dorsi, teres minor, teres major, serratus anterior.  Each of these muscles need to lengthen in order for you to lift your arm, so spasms in any or all of them will prevent you from raising your arm. The odds are the muscles have been repetitively strained and the muscle fibers have a knot in them.

You can read all about repetitive strain injuries by going to http://www.julstro.com and reading the Home Page, and then also read the two sections titled "Muscles and Pain" and "What's Happening Exactly." You will have a much better idea of why the muscles are preventing you from moving.

Fortunately you can easily self-treat each of these muscles, you'll understand that as you read the website.  You can also go to a good trigger point massage therapist and have the muscles treated.  I like self-treatment because the odds are you're going to need to treat each muscle multiple times before it totally releases, so doing it yourself will save you a lot of time and money by not needing to go in for therapy over and over.

In any case, I think you can eliminate this problem quickly and easily.

Wishing you well,
  Julie Donnelly  

Repetitive Strain Injury

Julie Donnelly, LMT