Repetitive Strain Injury/treatment for arm contractions

Question
I suffered a neck injury in the early 2000's by falling off a large trampoline onto the ground and landing on my neck. This subsequently left me stiff as a board and in stead of seeking treatment I self medicated and walked around like Egor for months.Eventually years later the pain subsided. Fast forward to 2010 and while doing pull ups i felt a pop around c5-7. In the coming days I received treatment from a chiropractor at work, deep tissue massages and ultimately while the manipulation helped for mins maybe hours, the pain got worse. This lead me to being on short term disability. The physical therapist stated I tore my rotator cuff based off of my limited range of motion and inability to raise my left arm. I checked into an ER  stayed on morphine for 3 days and was released with a diagnosis of spinal stenosis in c-3 & c4. Now that the neck pain has subsided for the most part, I find that flexing or attempting to scratch my back my bicep, and muscles under my arm get extremely tight to the point of excrutiating pain. Finally, my question is...what can I do to fend off the pain as I want to start lifting weights (for the first time in life). Even moreso, what could possibly be wrong? Is this something that will haunt me for the rest of my days or can be corrected?

Answer
Hi Charles,

I absolutely shuttered when I read your message, you are so fortunate to be alive and that you aren't paralyzed!  I'm surprised that it took this long before you started to have all the symptoms you are feeling now. Since the pain subsided (did it go away completely, or just lessen in intensity?) maybe this new pain from 2010 isn't related, although I would tend to think that it is a continuation of the original injury.

It's good to hear that the deep tissue massages and chiropractic manipulation helped for a short time because that gives a good indication that the problem is coming from tight muscles. I say this because if it were something else the odds are high that it wouldn't go away for any time at all, but with muscles the bones may have been moved back into place but the muscle will pull it back out of alignment again.

There are a lot of muscles that will give all of the symptoms you are feeling.  Before we get to talking about each muscle it will help if you go to http://www.julstro.com and read the Home Page, and the sections titled "Muscles and Pain" and "What's Happening Ezactly."  You may also find some interesting information about shoulder pain by reading the Muscle and Joint Pain Forum.

Once you have read this information, please feel free to return and we can talk about each muscle that is likely a part of your problem.  My initial feeling is for you to do an internet search and look at several muscles: the biceps, triceps (cause shoulder pain), latissimus dorsi (when tight this muscle will prevent you from lifting your arm up), and the pectoralis major and pectoralis minor muscles will prevent you from bringing your arm back so you can scratch your back.  

I've worked with thousands of athletes over the years and it is my opinion that you'll be able to learn how to self-treat each of these muscles successfully.  After you read the website mentioned I believe you'll have a much better idea of why the muscles are playing such havoc, and how you can self-treat them.

I'll look forward to hearing from you again.

Wishing you well,
   Julie Donnelly

Repetitive Strain Injury

Julie Donnelly, LMT