Repetitive Strain Injury/plantar fasciitis

Question
After months of self-treatment with ice, stretching and shoe inserts, I am seeing a physical therapist for my heel pain.  I was very active, cross training, limited running to six miles per week.  The therapist has me doing a series of stretches throughout the day, but sometimes, it seems a lot of stretching makes it more sore than it was.  Is it possible to stretch too much?  

I have also started rolling my foot over a tennis ball, in addition to the frozen water bottle roller.  I admit, I did three, twenty second sprints the other day, landing on my forefoot, and paid dearly with severe heel pain the next day.  After six months of waiting for this thing to resolve, though, I am losing patience!

Answer
Hi Regina,

Unfortunately stretching a muscle that has knots (spasms) in the fibers can definitely cause more pain, and may even tear the muscle fibers.  Think of what would happen if you took a 12" length of line, tied enough knots in it so it is 11" and then tried to stretch it back to 12". The same thing happens with your muscles.  However, if you first untied the knots (release the spasms) and then stretched it, you'd be successful.

Also, it's nice to roll your foot on a ball or frozen bottle of ice, but your problem isn't coming from there. The analogy I always use is, if you pull your hair at the end your scalp will hurt. But, you don't need to massage your scalp or your hair, you don't need to take drugs for the pain, and you don't need brain surgery....you just need to let go of your hair.  

I suggest you go to http://www.julstro.com and read the section called "Muscles and Pain" and "What's Happening Exactly."  It will give you a much better understanding of what is actually happening.  The muscles of your lower leg (analogy: hand) will pull on the tendons that insert into your foot (analogy: hair) and since they insert into your arch and your heel, you foot will hurt (analogy: scalp).  If you just release the spasms in your lower leg it will release the tension on the tendons and your arch will be just fine.

I've worked with people, teaching them how to self-treat the muscles of the lower leg (as well as muscles everywhere else in the body) and they have eliminated plantar fasciitis/heel pain.  This will be a lot more logical after you read the website mentioned.  

In any case, I'm certain that you can get back to running and doing everything else you enjoy in no time at all, it's just a matter of treating your lower leg muscles (front and back of the leg) to release the pressure on your foot.

Wishing you well,
   Julie Donnelly

Repetitive Strain Injury

Julie Donnelly, LMT