Repetitive Strain Injury/teres major injury

Question
Could an injury to the teres major cause pain & pins/needles down my left arm?  The pain worsens when I press on the area of the muscle and my elbow.

Answer
Hi Maria,

Yes, it could although it's probably a secondary cause of the problem.  A muscle in your chest called the pectoralis minor originates on your ribs and inserts into a tiny bone of your shoulder blade (scapula) called the caracoid process.  When the pecs minor contracts it will cause this bone to move forward and that will then put a strain on every muscle that attaches to the scapula.  

If you go to http://www.julstro.com you can read about repetitive strain injuries. I suggest you also read the sections titled "Muscles and Pain" and "What's Happening Exactly," as these sections will explain more about how a spasm in one place will refer pain to another place.  Pins & needles is the result of pressure on a nerve, in this case I would say it's the ulnar and median nerves.  You can look at how muscles impact these nerves by going to http://www.CarpalTunnelTreatment.org and looking at the section titled Anatomy Lessons.

You can self-treat each of these muscles (the websites will explain how you can learn to do this) or you can go to a good massage therapist to have the muscles treated for you.  The muscles that I believe need to be treated are: pectoralis minor, levator scapulae, infraspinatus, teres minor, teres major, and subscapularis.  You can see these muscles by doing an internet search.  You'll see that they each have an origination or insertion on the scapula, so they can each cause pressure to be placed on the median and ulnar nerves.

In any case, I believe you can eliminate this situation by releasing the tension in the muscles listed.

Wishing you well,
   Julie Donnelly

Repetitive Strain Injury

Julie Donnelly, LMT