Repetitive Strain Injury/Burning pain in right latissimus dorsi

Question
Hi, I have a burning pain in what I think is my right latissimus dorsi. However, the only time I feel the burn is doing lat pulldowns. I can usually get to about 10 or 12 reps before I feel the burn start to kick in. I can do rows and pullovers without any pain at all. I have a small TENS unit that I've been using along with the foam roller & when I can stand it, a tennis ball. If I press hard enough on the area I believe I can feel it in my right anterior delt. It's not knotty in the area...just a 'nerve' kind of burning.

I don't feel the pain any other time except when I'm doing a lat pulldown.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Answer
Hi Sherry,

I have a feeling that since you only feel it when doing lat pulldowns that it's actually not coming from your lats, but it is coming from your scalenes (do an internet search so you can see them) in your neck. The scalenes originate on your 1st rib and insert into your cervical vertebrae, and they cross over a bundle of nerves called the brachial plexus. This bundle of nerves innervates your upper body, arms, and hands.

If you go to http://www.CarpalTunnelTreatment.org you can find a section called Anatomy Lessons that has a good graphic of the scalenes and the brachial plexus.  When you are doing the lat pulldown exercise, this muscle is lengthening, and I think this is what is causing the pressure on the brachial plexus.

I can't put it here on a public forum, but if you email me directly via the website, I'll tell you how to test if that is the case and your scalenes need to be treated.

In any case, I believe you'll be able to self-treat this successfully, it just takes some direction and focused energy.

Wishing you well,
    Julie Donnelly

Repetitive Strain Injury

Julie Donnelly, LMT