Repetitive Strain Injury/pain on the right lower back side inside the ribs

Question
I've had this pain slowly getting worse over a number of months. I've searched WebMD through all the symptoms, and only one fits (lower back pain).I have no pain in my spine at all.
I played golf recently both Saturday and Sunday, and it really flared up. I've had a chest x-ray and it was negative. I'm at a lose why the pain doesn't go away. The pain doesn't seem to be the ribs, but inside the rear ribs on the right side. I am 59yrs old and have played golf almost every weekend for the last 10yrs.could this be just as simple as a strain injury.

Answer
Hi John,

I agree that this is a simple repetitive strain injury, of course, that fact doesn't make it hurt any less. I'm glad you've seen your physician to make sure that nothing is really wrong, it always makes it better this way since doctors don't have a test for muscle spasms and so they are often overlooked.

First of all, it will help if you go to http://www.julstro.com and read the sections titled "Muscles and Pain" and "What's happening Exactly."  Then go to http://forum.julstrointernational.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=762 and read about each of the muscles that are involved in rotating your pelvis, and are the cause of pain that goes from your mid-back to your calves and feet.  It's pretty amazing to think that one group of muscles can do that, but it will be understandable when you read the thread.

The way you describe it I would say that the muscle that is causing the problem is your quadratus lumborum (you can see it by doing an internet search). Both sides are involved due to the nature of the sport, but the side that is hurting the most will be key to the problem. Fortunately this is an easy muscle to self-treat.

Do you stretch at all?  The repetitive movement of the golf swing is definitely causing these muscles to shorten, but stretching while the muscles are tied in knots will only cause the knots (spasms) to get worse and possibly even tear.  You need to first release the spasms and then stretch.

I never taught a lot about stretching because it wasn't something I was taught well enough to feel confident, even though I knew how important it is to stretch. I recently joined with an amazing yoga instructor named Ana and she teaches how to first self-treat the spasms and then safely do yoga.  You can look into it by going to http://www.TriggerPointYoga.com.

I've worked with thousands of people over the past 25 years and I believe that when you treat each of the muscles that are described in the thread, and then safely stretch them, that you'll be back to playing golf pain-free.

Wishing you well,
    Julie Donnelly

Repetitive Strain Injury

Julie Donnelly, LMT