Repetitive Strain Injury/Achilles Tendon RSI

Question
Hi Julie:

Its me again.
I have used your knowledge in the past..so....here I am again.

I have yet to see a doctor on this problem as if it may be work related in anyway (and I am certain of it) my own family doctor won't see me.

I have to pay for a foot specialist who does do workmen comp cases.

About 8 months ago, at work, I noticed pain behind my left ankle. Its where the Achilles Tendon is.

I tried to get support sneakers and the very next day the knee on the opposite leg started bothering me. (I thought, perhaps my balance changed and affected that knee, and then too, that that may be a cause of the Achilles problem on the other leg.

I push people up a ramp in a wheelchair at work.
The foot I "push off" with is the one that is having the problem.

I don't know what to do and I am in pain every single day.
I doubt the Achilles nor the knee on the other leg will get better without medical intervention.

What do you suggest I do?

Thanks.

Arlene

Answer
Hi Arlene,

I've worked with so many people via my books and DVDs that teach self-treatment, and I've seen problems like yours get resolved without surgery, medication, or any other type of medical intervention. I'm not saying that you definitely don't need medical treatments, but I am saying that it's well worth your time and energy to release the tension in the calf muscles that merge into your Achilles tendon before you go any further.  If it's the muscles pulling on the tendon nothing else will work anyway, and regardless of what it may be, tight muscles will prevent your Achilles tendon from healing.

While your job may be affecting this problem, it's not the only cause of the pain.  When you walk up steps you are repetitively straining the muscles...when you drive a car you are also repetitively straining your right leg, and if you enjoy dancing or playing any type of a sport, including running or just walking, you are straining these muscles.  You can get a lot of information about repetitive strain injuries by going to http://www.julstro.com and reading the Home Page, including the sections titled "Muscles and Pain" and "What's Happening Exactly."

I suggest you go to http://www.TriggerPointYoga.com where you can learn how to self-treat each of the muscles that you are repetitively straining every day -  your calf isn't your only problem, it's just the first one to become obvious.  After you self-treat the muscles from your low back to your feet, then you can stretch safely without tearing the muscle fibers or the tendon.

Wishing you well,
    Julie Donnelly  

Repetitive Strain Injury

Julie Donnelly, LMT