Repetitive Strain Injury/Ultrasound Question

Question
Hi, the question I have is very complicated to answer. I cant get a strait answer. I have torn my Rhomboid Muscle and Lower Trap off my spine. mri shows nothing, everything normal. I want to know will a Posterior Ultrasound show the posterior muscles such as the Rhomboids and lower Trap muscle to see if is torn or has detached from my scapular spine. Nobody can give me a answer. Thanks,Todd.

Answer
Hi Todd,

I'm glad to see you're going to your doctor about this, and that you've had an MRI to see if it is torn.  The fact that the MRI shows nothing means the odds are good that it is not torn from the bone as that would show up clearly in the test.  The thing that doesn't show up on any type of test is when there is a spasm in the muscle fibers.  

To simply say "a spasm" doesn't sound serious, but it is because it is a knot in the muscle fibers that is putting a severe strain on both ends of the muscle.  All tests will show up as normal, but the spasm is straining the muscle so much that if it's bad enough it can actually be the cause of the muscle tearing from the bone.  If the muscles were severed from the bone you would be in excruciating pain and you wouldn't be able to move your arm or shoulder toward your back (for example, clasping your hands behind your back).

It will help you understand this situation if you go to http://www.julstro.com and then look at the sections titled "Muscles and Pain" and "What's Happening Exactly."  I understand your frustration, I've worked with so many people over the past 25 years that have been experiencing pain and limited range-of-motion, all while being told that everything is "normal."  It's not normal, but since there isn't a test to show muscle spasms, they are overlooked the vast majority of the time.

I suggest you try this simple test: take a tennis ball, place it in a sock and then put it on your shoulder blade and press your shoulder into the ball/sock while leaning into a wall.  Keep moving around until you find a tender point, and then stay on it for about 30 seconds.  Then move the ball/sock more toward your rhomboid and do the same thing.  Keep looking for hot spots and repeat the 30 second pressure, always making sure that you only go to the "hurts so good" level, and never go too deep.  If you start to find points (also called "trigger points") you know that you have multiple muscle spasms.  This is what I would suspect is going to happen to you.

Let me know how you're doing.

Wishing you well,
    Julie Donnelly

Repetitive Strain Injury

Julie Donnelly, LMT