Repetitive Strain Injury/Crhonic high hamstring pain (bicep Femoris)

I am a competitive Irish dancer
I love what I do , it is my passion.  I am 40 yrs old, been Irish dancing since I was 35.
The pilar ofIrish danceing is core and Hamstrings.The better I have gotten the worst my everyday pain in my high hamstrings right at the hip joint (bicep Femoris) I have been in pain for 4 years now. It only gets worse.
can you please advise

Hi Annie,

I LOVE Irish dancing, and I've always appreciated how grueling it is for the dancers from their hips to their feet.  I'm happy to tell you that it is easy to treat each of the muscles, but it's more than just your hip joint and hamstrings, this pain pattern actually starts from your quadriceps, specifically your rectus femoris.

It will help you follow this discussion if you first go to  You'll see that your quadriceps cause your leg to go straight after you bend your knee, so it is being repetitively strained from all of the dancing.  The rectus femoris is the only one of the four quadriceps that originates on the tip of your pelvis, so when it is being repetitively strained - and therefore shortening - it is pulling DOWN on your pelvis and UP on your knee.  

As your pelvis rotates down from this strain, it causes the muscles of your hamstrings to become OVERSTRETCHED.  The worst thing to do is to stretch your hamstrings without first treating the muscles that have caused your pelvis to rotate.  The overstretching occurs because the origin of your hamstrings are on the base of your pelvis, so as your posterior pelvis is going your hamstrings, which have their own spasms occurring and tying the fibers into knots, are now being overstretched as the pelvis moves.

The muscles of your hip become involved because they are twisted as your pelvis pulls them down in the front, and contracts them as your pelvis moves up in the back.  This puts a great strain on the top of your thigh bone, called the greater trochanter.

When you read the website I mentioned, you'll see that you need to do the treatments in a specific way to release them in a manner that will reverse the domino-effect your rectus femoris is putting on your pelvis.  You'll get more information about the domino-effect by going to

In any case, you can certainly have the muscles treated by a qualified muscular therapist who is trained to do trigger point therapy and myofascial release, or you can learn to treat yourself.  Since you dance for hours and hours, it is beneficial for you to learn how to self-treat.  I am certain that you can eliminate this painful problem and continue with your dancing.

Do you ever come to Florida to dance? I'll keep watch, in Sarasota there is an excellent theater that brings in many beautiful artists, maybe you'll come one day.

Wishing you well,
   Julie Donnelly  

Repetitive Strain Injury

Julie Donnelly, LMT

I can accept questions that relate to chronic or acute pain caused by muscle spasms and contractions. Repetitive Strain Injury is actually Cumulative Trauma to muscles. Releasing the spasm &/or contraction will relieve the strain that is felt at the insertion point on the bone. I am the co-developer of the unique safe-stretching program "Focused Flexibility Training," which combines easy instruction for self-treating spasms throughout your body with proven yoga stretches. I have recently authored two new books: "The 15 Minute Back Pain Solution," and "The Secret to Your Best Golf Game EVER!

Since 1989 I have been working with endurance athletes and individuals suffering from chronic pain conditions. I have authored seven self-treatment books and three self-treatment DVDs and I have developed the Julstro System for the treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome, Trigger Finger, and other Hand/Wrist pain. I am a national and international presenter at conventions, seminars, and workshops. Principle topics are "Work Shouldn't Hurt," and "The Pain Free Athlete." In 2005 and 2006 I was the massage therapist for ultracyclists competing in the Race Across America (RAAM) 3000+ mile race from San Diego, CA to Atlantic City, NJ. I've taught the Julstro techniques to physical therapists at the Cleveland Clinic, to massage therapists in areas around the USA, and I've taught Julstro self-treatment clinics to dancers at Juilliard School of Performing Arts (NYC),the sprinting team at NC State, and I am working closely with several Olympic-hopeful. We have successfully eliminated the repetitive strain injuries that could keep them out of the Olympic Games, and the best part is they know how to do the self-treatments so they can stay pain-free and flexible.

Triathlete Magazine, Endurance Magazine, multiple national and international trade journals.

Swedish Institute of Allied Health, NY, NY - Initial education in massage therapy Licensed NYS Massage Therapist since 1989. SUNY Empire State College, Saratoga Springs, NY - B.Sc. degree in Interdisciplinary Health Education I was an Associate Professor helping to develop the massage training program for SUNY Rockland Community College

Privacy prevents me from filling in this section without prior consent from my clients. Life Experience: I have been specializing in the treatment of chronic pain and sports injuries since receiving my NY massage license in 1989. A personal bout with carpal tunnel syndrome was the catalyst to my developing a self-treatment that heals the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome quickly and without surgery. My work with endurance athletes was the inspiration to teach people how to self-treat so they could stop pains even during a race or heavy training day. Both of these situations ultimately became the products that are sold on my websites: and I currently treat people in my offices in Sarasota, FL, Cary, NC, or Pearl River, NY