Repetitive Strain Injury/leg pain

Question
I know you can't diagnose online but maybe you can give some ideas. Two months ago I ran full speed without stretching and felt a little pain where the leg bone ends at the top. The the pain still hurts and has probably gotten worse. It only hurts if the hamstring muscle is used (the same one used in running). It only hurts if I run or I use the exact / particular hamstring muscle. If I sit and pull my leg back and force the hamstring muscle to be used it hurts at the top / back of the leg bone area. However, it does not hurt if the leg is twisted or bent in any direction without using muscle power. Any ideas? I'm in my 30's and have never had a pain that did not heal within couple weeks.

Answer
Hi Jack,

Stretching is always important, although I've shown athletes that stretching without first releasing the spasms in the muscles can cause muscle injury. When a muscle has a spasm it shortens the fibers and hurts at the origination and insertion points on either end (although more frequently at the insertion point). It's like pulling your hair and your scalp hurts.  You don't need to massage your scalp, take aspirin for the headache, or have brain surgery to stop the pain, you just need to let go of your hair.  It's the same thing with muscles. Too often people pay total attention to the symptom of the muscle tension, and not to the cause of the tension.  

I just wrote a paper about the area you are mentioning. I think it will help if you take a look at it: http://www.triggerpointyoga.com/body-basics/causes-of-hip-pain/ and then we can discuss this further.

Many times the hamstring tension and pain are actually a result of other muscles putting a strain on the pelvis, which then causes the hamstrings to become overstretched.

My suggestion is to not do anything with your hamstrings yet, especially don't try to stretch them. After you read the page please feel free to post again and we can go further into the situation.

Wishing you well,
   Julie Donnelly

Repetitive Strain Injury

Julie Donnelly, LMT