Repetitive Strain Injury/Do I have RSI...

Question
QUESTION: I play on my laptop daily from between 2-6 hours depending on the day. Recently I played on it and later that night when I got off my wrist started hurting when I would lean on my hand. The next day which would be today 3/26/14 it hurts worse when I do many things like writing, putting my pants on, wiping after using the bathroom, etc. It doesn't hurt much when I bend it forward and backward but more when I do at any degree of side to side. I don't know how to explain the type of pain but if I had to guess I would say shooting maybe? Hope you can help!

ANSWER: Hi Kaitlynne,

Yes, I would say you do have a repetitive strain injury of the muscles of your forearm. If you go to http://www.julstro.com you can read a lot of information by going to the sections titled "What is RSI" and "What's Happening Exactly."  They are talking about RSI's through the entire body, but the problem is exactly the same for your arms and hands. While you are on the website you'll also see links to information about carpal tunnel syndrome that should be of interest to you.

The muscles of your forearm all control the movement of your wrist and hand.  While you are feeling it in your hand, it's actually coming from forearm muscles, specifically a muscle called the brachioradialis, and your flexors and extensors.  All of these muscles are responsible for every movement you make with your wrist, hand, and fingers.

If there is shooting pain, burning pain, then the nerve is being impinged at the same time. A medical professional may tell you that you have carpal tunnel syndrome, and many will recommend surgery to release the tension on the nerve. I suggest you explore self-treating the muscles before you consider surgery. When you release the tension in the muscles, the burning/shooting will be eliminated.  You can learn how to self-treat each of these muscles. If you are on the computer for so many hours every day, it's worth your while to learn how to self-treat so you can relax the muscles at the end of the day.  

The bottom line is I don't think you need to be nervous about this current wrist situation, you just need to release the tension on each of your forearm muscles.

Wishing you well,
    Julie Donnelly

QUESTION: Today I am experiencing no more pain in my wrist. Why would this be? Was it something else wrong with my hand? Why is my hand all of a sudden not hurting anymore? It hurt a little on the 25th, a lot on the 26th, a tiny bit less on the 27th and today I am feeling no pain that I can tell of.

ANSWER: Hi Kaitlynne,

The odds are that while your hand was hurting you didn't use it. It's pretty normal for us to rub where it hurts so you may have even been massaging the muscles of your forearm, wrist and hand.

I'm so glad to hear that you're now out of pain, that's the most important part. I would suggest that when you have a long day on your computer that you massage your forearm muscles at the end of the day.

Thanks for coming back and letting me know how you are.

Wishing you well,
    Julie

QUESTION: Sorry to bug you again but I would like to let you know that yesterday I used an ice pack on my wrist and tried to not use it as much as I could. I am very happy it is all better but I would like to thank you for sending me a response! THANK YOU!

Answer
Hi Kaitlynn,

You're welcome, I love helping people eliminate their aches and pains.  I've been doing that for 25 years at this point, and it's a wonderful career that is fulfilling for me, and for my clients.

Isn't it nice to have the weekend coming up and you're back to being yourself again.  :-)

Have a great weekend,
    Julie

Repetitive Strain Injury

Julie Donnelly, LMT